CP-16R/A Video Tap

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

Some months ago I mentioned that I was working on a video tap for my CP-16. Here is a link to some photos of the tap and final version of the mini rod assemby I adapted for my camera. This camera is also listed on the classifieds page. Alas it is for sale.

http://www.sk8scamer...m/CP16GRAY.html

The tap works very well. Shapness is very good. Focus is spot on. Overall the prototype took very little time to assemble. I had to install a prism to reverse the image from left to right. The CP relay flips the image left to right. A prism from an old CP viewfinder fixed the problem very nicely. The only other piece of glass other than the ccd camera lens is a rear element from a polaroid/rodenstock 127mm lens. This magnifies the relay image and helps with focus. If anyone is interested in some detailed photos PM me and I'll send some along.

Regards,
Robert Skates

#2 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:59 PM

That is one sharp looking CP! In addition to the videotap, I especially like the rods, and way you've mounted them to the body.

#3 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

Yes the rods are very nice, but where is the handgrip, and how do you shoot handheld with this camera?

#4 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:16 PM

Mike,
I did some handheld with the CP on a short film I shot last summer. I operated by holding onto the rods with both hand. I really did not miss the handgrip. Of course I had an AC to trigger the camera via the rear switch. For the type of things I shoot, mostly narrative shorts and low budget features, the rod arrangement worked well. I was planning on adding a CP GSMO style hand grip. The rod adapter plate had a section that could be milled out to allow access to the original handgrip DIN connector. Alas, that project will not be done by me as I sold my CP last week.

If anyone is looking for some tips on repainting their CP, I would be glad to help. I've repainted a number of cameras over the years. The CP is the most simple. The camera is very easy to reduce to it's parts. The simple/blunt design makes it easy to mask off areas.

Regards,
Robert Skates

#5 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:32 PM

Hi Robert, thanks for your quick reply. I am trying to make a similar configuration with rods, but I really don't want to give up the hand grip. It seems they can't be positioned close to the perpendicular axis without interference on the start/stop switch. Do you know if it's possible to reposition the switch 180 degrees on the stud that the grip mounts. That would solve all my problems and the switch can be triggered by the index finger, instead of by thumb. The bolt where the lockdown nut goes would have to be hollow for this to work, but I don't want to take it apart without some guidence.
I am also interested in painting the camera, please decribe the process and materials.
Thanks Mike

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Visual Products

CineLab

The Slider

Opal

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly