J. Søren Viuf
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:50 AM

Hi,

I am shooting a scene from inside a car of a person driving around at night. No problem, right?

I guess we are going to be shooting under a "rain tower", so i have to be inside the car. How should I light?

LitePanels from dashboard? Light from Exterior Through Rain?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:14 AM

Hi,

I am shooting a scene from inside a car of a person driving around at night. No problem, right?

I guess we are going to be shooting under a "rain tower", so i have to be inside the car. How should I light?

LitePanels from dashboard? Light from Exterior Through Rain?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

so i guess the car is not going to move and maybe get bumped up and down by some grips.
light panles should work good on the dash board. I did a car shoot where i lit the actors with a small kino and gelled it with half nd to cut the light down, remember dont make the light coming from the dash board to strong keep it low key so it looks like the actors are lit without looking lit know what i mean.
then have some lamp ops pan lights across the car into the actors face to simulate headlights and streetlights, i find gelling tungten light with a 3/4 cto and a half green looks like sodium vapor streetlights.
you will need some lighting ques and fades.
just make sure the lamp ops dont keep doing the same movement over and over, keep it sparce and from different angles.

i i said half nd i meant n6 2 stops i cut down

#3 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:02 PM

Rain towers make it sound like you are planning on driving.

Rain in a driving car is about the easiest poorman?s process you can do. Shoot against black back drop. Use a hose to rain on the window. Use a fan to blow the rain drops on the glass as if the car is moving. I like to add a little smoke, also blown by the fan, to look like spray from the road. Light the window so you get highlights on the rain. Protect all electric from water.

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:32 PM

Rain in a driving car is about the easiest poorman?s process you can do. Shoot against black back drop. Use a hose to rain on the window. Use a fan to blow the rain drops on the glass as if the car is moving. I like to add a little smoke, also blown by the fan, to look like spray from the road. Light the window so you get highlights on the rain. Protect all electric from water.

I agree. Check out this example of PMP from The Glass House (The "old" one, not the "new" one -- not sure why they remade a movie only 5 or so years old).

Posted Image

Of course there were lights that dimmed up and down, and the round light in the middle moved across the BG, probably on a dolly.

#5 Ken Minehan

Ken Minehan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Singapore

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:45 PM

I agree. Check out this example of PMP from The Glass House (The "old" one, not the "new" one -- not sure why they remade a movie only 5 or so years old).

Posted Image

Of course there were lights that dimmed up and down, and the round light in the middle moved across the BG, probably on a dolly.

The example you show from the "glass house" looks beautiful. By the looks of it all the lights were exterior of the car right?love the rain shadows on his face.

Ken Minehan

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:57 PM

The example you show from the "glass house" looks beautiful. By the looks of it all the lights were exterior of the car right?love the rain shadows on his face.

Ken Minehan

There is also a great poor-man's process scene in "Frailty", shot by Bill Butler, with rain blowing past the windows, moving lights, etc. The behind-the-scenes doc on the DVD has some footage of how Butler did it.

#7 Albert Smith

Albert Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:18 AM

There is also a great poor-man's process scene in "Frailty", shot by Bill Butler, with rain blowing past the windows, moving lights, etc. The behind-the-scenes doc on the DVD has some footage of how Butler did it.

Just about to say that, Its a great little behind the scenes feature, and the results were pretty excellent.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

CineLab

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC