4 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

Ive recently become intrigued by the Bolex SBM camera with the bayonet lens mount and I'm trying to find a list of compatible lenses for it. Ive searched on Google with no luck. There's quite a bit of information online about the SBM but virtually nothing about the lenses that fit it's bayonet mount. I do get the impression that mostly zoom lenses were designed for this camera but are there any prime lenses available as well, particularly wide angles?

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

If memory serves, there is a Bolex bayonet to C-mount adapter available for the SBM which will allow you to use C-Mount lenses on the camera. In the old days, there was a nice Switar 10mm lens for the camera. Other than that, I am not sure.

-Tim

#3 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

Yip, theres a bayonet to C-mount adaptor so you can use any of the switar RX primes with your SBM - as for the bayonet mount its only for the zooms - the PTL, POE and the non-powered version of the PTL which I think is the easiest to convert to having coverage for super16 almost right down to around the 12.5mm mark ...

I suppose all the c-mount versions of the zooms would mount easily as well and there was a range of compact zooms around also but they dont turn up so often ... Maybe Angenieux made some bayonet versions ?

I have an EL and SB and the only bayonet lens I own is the PTL - otherwise I use the c-mount adaptor for the switar primes ...

Any other c-mount lens can be used also but with the usual caveat of having to stop down enough to account for the prisms undesirable effects on the image

#4 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:19 AM

"In the old days, there was a nice Switar 10mm lens for the camera."

A 10mm Switar lens with a bayonet mount? Excellent! That was exactly what I was after. If ever I put a 16mm camera in an underwater housing to go scuba diving, with, I think I might select a Bolex SBM. I know many people use the earlier C mount BolexH16 models in underwater housings. However, with me, there is that worry that I could accidentally unscrew the lens when turning the aperture ring or focus ring when using a C mount lens. There is always that chance and it would be incredibly frustrating if that occurred in an underwater housing 15 feet below the surface.

By the way, does the EBM use the same bayonet mount as the SBM?

#5 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:53 AM

"In the old days, there was a nice Switar 10mm lens for the camera."

A 10mm Switar lens with a bayonet mount? Excellent! That was exactly what I was after. If ever I put a 16mm camera in an underwater housing to go scuba diving, with, I think I might select a Bolex SBM. I know many people use the earlier C mount BolexH16 models in underwater housings. However, with me, there is that worry that I could accidentally unscrew the lens when turning the aperture ring or focus ring when using a C mount lens. There is always that chance and it would be incredibly frustrating if that occurred in an underwater housing 15 feet below the surface.

By the way, does the EBM use the same bayonet mount as the SBM?

The 'B' I think in EMB, SB and SBM stands for bayonet - I could be wrong though as the EL has a bayonet mount and no B in the lettering - in any case, yip they all have the same mount...

The 10mm in both standard, RX and preset versions are all C-mount and are screwed into the bayonet adaptor - I have never seen a switar bayonet 10mm, which is not to say it doesn't exsist, but there is no mention of it in any of the sales propaganda I have seen from the 70's and early 80's... The only bayonet mounts I've come across are all zooms...

This means you do have the potential for it to unscrew when attempting to adjust a tight focus or aperture ring... I have no problems with my RX 10mm and I am soon going to get follow focus and aperture rings made for it to fit with my EL underwater housing, you can adjust the focus by undoing the 4 little screws you can see and having a fiddle, but i wouldn't recommend it ...

The SBM will either need a motor (and power) attached and an underhousing to accomodate the extra bulk, or you'll need to find the proper Bolex housing with the crank-handle extention interface thingy (so you can wind underwater) - or you could be restricted to one winds worth ...

Abel Cine

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport