#1 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

Holy Cow! Was it just the print I was watching or all of them? It looks like someone at the print lab left out the matts or the final render didn't have the matt filter engaged. Either way, someone is getting a royal ace chewing about now. I assume that as it seems impossible to me that they would release the movie with the boom mikes showing.

#2 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

Holy Cow! Was it just the print I was watching or all of them? It looks like someone at the print lab left out the matts or the final render didn't have the matt filter engaged. Either way, someone is getting a royal ace chewing about now. I assume that as it seems impossible to me that they would release the movie with the boom mikes showing.

The projector probably wasn't framed up properly. Oftentimes, the movie will be filmed with the boom outside of the intended projection part of the frame (the negative is 1.37:1, so you have significant headroom with a 1.85 movie). This assumes, however, that the print will be framed up correctly in the theater, since the boom is still recorded onto the negative. Most of the time when you see this is theaters, it's projectionist error.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:20 AM

Most 35mm 1.85 movies are shot "open matted" and contact-printed -- so it's up to the projectionist to properly frame the image on the print, which has no hard mattes. The projector has a 1.85 mask in the gate, but the image can be shifted up or down. Usually when boom mics are visible constantly, it's because the projectionist has too much headroom (the frame is shifted down too much.)

If you notice this, you should tell the manager that the image needs to be raised.

Ritter Battery

Opal

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets