3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

the back of your hand. Do you ever do it ? I know with mine, I have to stop down half a stop

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:30 PM

It can be used. I'm personally a bit darker than your standard-issue Caucasian, maybe 2/3 of a stop over 18% gray. Gray cards definitely work better here, especially if you're going to be shooting several hard hours worth of work, I think that one is better off taking the plunge with a card than trusting hundreds of dollars worth of work to the back of the hand.

Now that being said, I often just run with the sunny-16 rule in still photography when I'm shooting neg film. It is usually dead on as far as rules go, only getting tricky when you have variable cloud color or on days where the sun is shining especially bright in the sky. It's hard to tell a sunny-22 from a sunny-32 ;-)

Regards,

~Karl Borowski

#3 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:17 AM

It's just that I watched some of the shooting on Oliver Twist by Edelman and they were taking several readings from the back of the hand

#4 Kim Sargenius

Kim Sargenius
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

It can be used. I'm personally a bit darker than your standard-issue Caucasian, maybe 2/3 of a stop over 18% gray. Gray cards definitely work better here, especially if you're going to be shooting several hard hours worth of work, I think that one is better off taking the plunge with a card than trusting hundreds of dollars worth of work to the back of the hand.

Same here; about 1/3 darker than 18% (so I'll open 1/3 from any reading) though this is highly dependent on the seasons - my tan is darker still :) I've found that the palm is more consistent...

cheers,

Kim Sargenius

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Opal

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks