#1 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:16 PM

I am shooting a film in a month. One scene takes place in a movie theater. We have some shots planned that will actually show the actors sillouhetted against the sreen. I was wondering what approach people suggest. Should we do the images on the screen in post or project the images on to the screen. Both issues have problems I believe. Doing the shots in post would probably require extensive work to get a clean matt around the characters, or perhaps we put a green screen behind them. Doing the shot with a projected image also has issues with sync. Any thoughts or suggestions

#2 Christopher Wedding

Christopher Wedding
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:47 AM

I am shooting a film in a month. One scene takes place in a movie theater. We have some shots planned that will actually show the actors sillouhetted against the sreen. I was wondering what approach people suggest. Should we do the images on the screen in post or project the images on to the screen. Both issues have problems I believe. Doing the shots in post would probably require extensive work to get a clean matt around the characters, or perhaps we put a green screen behind them. Doing the shot with a projected image also has issues with sync. Any thoughts or suggestions

I had the same apprehensions as you for a shoot I did in a theater. I'll have to look up all the facts again, but do remember we shot with a 210 degree shutter and didn't have any problem with the strobing. The problem we encountered was that we had a looping title and we cut it too short so that there was a jarring jump every time the loop came around. Luckily we were able to time it out and not burn too much film!

Anyhow, I'll have to look up what stock we used, but I know we pushed one stop. I know it was fuji and I think it was their 400T. However, I don't have those specs on me and it was a while back. Came out looking great.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:53 AM

I was gaffer on a similar setup awhile back, only we didn't need an actual silhouette. But the DP did want the illumination on the audience to be naturally coming from the screen, so we hard lit the screen and keyed off the bounce. It was difficult to get enough light on the screen since the shot was wide, so we had to use a couple maxi-brutes on the balcony. Unfortunately the multiple globes on the maxi make it hard to get a clean shadow edge without too much spill onto the proscenium, but we managed. The sceen image was inserted in post.

Posted Image

How wide does the silhouette shot need to be? Is it possible to have only a small green screen for a tighter shot, to minimize the green bounce-back?

#4 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:36 AM

Thanks guys,

Michaels suggestion of bouncing light off the screen is something I was considering and then inserting the movie over it. That will work for most of the shots except for one where an actor arrives to the movie late and we are going to shoot from behind him as he walks into the theater. He will be partially obstructing the screen, so I am not sure how they would be able to add our image to the screen without setting up a greenscreen for that shot. Any ideas anyone?

Edited by Chris Pritzlaff, 28 November 2006 - 02:39 AM.

#5 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:51 AM

This probably should be moved to the new Visual Effects section, but I don't know how to move it there.

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery