#1 Brian Ramirez

Brian Ramirez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

Hello, I am a film student and I some experience with green screen and lighting. I have been asked to work on a project that uses green screen. The group has only reserved a few 1K Tungsten lights and a few 650w Tungsten lights.

These are the only lights i will be able to use to light a small green screen. Are there any ways that anyone would suggest for me to properly light both the subject and the screen? I do that i will have to diffuse these lights alot in order to not have shadows on the screen and since i will not be able to use kinoFlos.

Are there any specific gels or filters that i will need to use in order to get the best result when i am compositing these shots?

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.

Brian R.
Brooks Institute of Photography

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:20 PM

It really depends on the size of the screen, the subject and framing of the foreground, and how much light you need for a proper exposure.

But for something like a medium closeup against a 6'x6' or 8'x8' screen, I would take two of the heads (probably the 1k's) on either side and push them through some diffusion (like 216), preferrably on small frames a little bit in front of the lights. Back the lights and diffusion far enough away from the screen that you can blend the two light sources evenly across the screen. Then light your foreground however you like, taking care to not let these lights spill onto the screen. Greenscreens are usually best lit one stop under key or at key (exposure), depending on the needs of the comnpositiing system.

You could add some green gel to the background lights if you like, but it isn't always necessary.

Paralinx LLC

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera