6 replies to this topic

#1 marc laliberte else

marc laliberte else

New

• Sustaining Members
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

hello, this is my first query to the site so I may be rusty with protocol and the basic running of the forums but here it goes.
I'm shooting a gatorade spot which calls for a shot that goes from an ECU into the iris of the eye and we have no money for MOCO. Any suggestions? A macro lens needs to many turns of the focus barrel in the final few inches and I do not know the experience level of my focus puller in pittsburgh. Hence my problem. Any suggestions....
mle

#2 Alon grego

Alon grego

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • israel / europ

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:16 AM

Hi to you the best doing for your Q. is
take good long zoom tele lens and put proksar filter in front of matt box or lens.
i hope i help you

#3 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:26 AM

get a long lens system such as frazier if pana or tyrex if pl mount.
or extension tubes.
this way you already are at a long distance from the subject.

but often this special shot is made with the capacity of the puller to turn the barrel

an other idea is to motorize the focus barrel so the ac is able to "zap" from a start mark to a finish mark

good luck

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:32 AM

hello, this is my first query to the site so I may be rusty with protocol and the basic running of the forums but here it goes.
I'm shooting a gatorade spot which calls for a shot that goes from an ECU into the iris of the eye and we have no money for MOCO. Any suggestions? A macro lens needs to many turns of the focus barrel in the final few inches and I do not know the experience level of my focus puller in pittsburgh. Hence my problem. Any suggestions....
mle

Hi,

FWIW you wont get 'into the iris of an eye' in one shot. Normally there is a 3d takover when the eye is nearly full frame.

Stephen

#5 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:29 PM

This is very achievable with a half decent post team. basically shoot the eye as close as you like, then shoot the ecu plate. then comp and digitally pull from one to the other. done it myself on a film a made for a perfume company.

the digital move is the place when you can crap out if you don't get a great post team. then again if the pull is fast you can get away with a bodge job.

keith

#6 Alon grego

Alon grego

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • israel / europ

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:54 PM

get a long lens system such as frazier if pana or tyrex if pl mount.
or extension tubes.
this way you already are at a long distance from the subject.

but often this special shot is made with the capacity of the puller to turn the barrel

an other idea is to motorize the focus barrel so the ac is able to "zap" from a start mark to a finish mark

good luck

you right but i think its low baghet film but if not its the best ID

#7 Brett Van Dyke

Brett Van Dyke

New

• Sustaining Members
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto,On.

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:07 PM

Hey Marc. It's BVD here. I'm not sure if you've shot the spot yet but there is also the Scorpio remote focus puller that hooks up the dolly track. I did a 100mm macro shot off a beer tap dripping from 15' to inches tack sharp the whole way. This system is neat beacause it connects the scorpio with a little cog system on the dollly & track and once you set all your marks with dolly and lens you simply just push back and forth and the barrel goes spinning any speed you need. Our shot did take 40 mins to program you have move focus set move focus set move focus set etc. but it was worth it. it's poor mans moco. We got it from clairmont toronto. peace out. bvd

mle

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Opal

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

The Slider