Photo

Cinealta Shutter Speed Settings And Why Am I Not Happy?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon McCormick

Brandon McCormick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:09 PM

I've been filming with the Cinealta for about a year now, and don't get me wrong...I love the thing. BUT, I've been pretty unhappy with the image shot at 1/48shutter I just looks kinda dead, when I jack it up higher, I get an image much more comparable to film like look.I've noticed that a higher shutter speed is nicer, even for dialogue shots and slow moving shots, not just action. I know 1/48 is the standard, but it just doesn't look all that great. Are more and more movies being shot at a higher shutter these days? Or am I just missing something

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

I've been filming with the Cinealta for about a year now, and don't get me wrong...I love the thing. BUT, I've been pretty unhappy with the image shot at 1/48shutter I just looks kinda dead, when I jack it up higher, I get an image much more comparable to film like look.I've noticed that a higher shutter speed is nicer, even for dialogue shots and slow moving shots, not just action. I know 1/48 is the standard, but it just doesn't look all that great. Are more and more movies being shot at a higher shutter these days? Or am I just missing something

Which direction do you mean by "higher"?

A number of people find that an electronic shutter is too crisp (instantly off or on compared to a moving shutter blade) and therefore shoot at a slightly longer time like 1/32nd to increase blur and reduce jitter / strobing, at the expense of more motion smearing (but at the gain of a half-stop more exposure.) I've done that many times, especially for scenes without a lot of movement. But too much smear and it starts to remind you of interlaced-scan photography.

Conversely, it is not unusual to shorten the exposure time to 1/60th, 1/100th, or higher to increase strobing and making action scenes more jittery, crisper. Or when you plan on making the footage slo-mo in post. But as for that making HD look more "like film", that is highly debatable. Many people find that 24P at 1/48th already looks too crisp compared to a film camera at 24 fps with a 180 degree shutter, and shortening the exposure time only makes the motion even crisper, more strobey.

#3 Brandon McCormick

Brandon McCormick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:30 PM

My apologies, I meant shorter shutter. I seem to like an image that comes out at 1/60, popping more, seeming more vibrant although it does strobe a bit. I'm trying to shoot a very "big fish" type movie, with vibrant and crips images and colors, and 1/48 on the Cinealta still looks a little "video" to me. Maybe it's just my inexperience, and maybe it's just a taste preference. (although I'm sure decades of 1/48 can't be wrong!)

#4 Patrick McGowan

Patrick McGowan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • P.A.
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:50 AM

Does 1/24th have too much smear?

I kind of like the look in certain situations...

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post