16 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:41 AM

I know there are some dumb thieves around. However, I'm really curious if anyone has ever heard of a Panavision movie camera being auctioned on eBay?

#2 Arni Heimir

Arni Heimir
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Other
  • Reykjavik/Barcelona

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

I know there are some dumb thieves around. However, I'm really curious if anyone has ever heard of a Panavision movie camera being auctioned on eBay?

That or Panavision is facing insolvency. ;) I never understood why they don't sell any of their products.

#3 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:43 PM

I don't know about an entire camera body ending up on there, but I do know odd bits and pieces have over the years. I also seem to remember people at the company checking for their products online, and then getting the sellers in trouble.

When I was at Panavision Woodland Hills a while ago, someone told me a story that could just be legend, but that either a camera body or body and set of Primos went missing. It was stolen, and when the thieves couldn't move the items they stole, they just left the box behind the bushes at Panavision, to be found several days latter.

I don't know if this story is true, but you head tons of these over the years.

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:54 PM

My favorite story was about a Panastar camera body being used as a planter in Jersey when they realized they couldn't sell the thing. Talk about hair in the gate.

#5 Trevor Greenfield

Trevor Greenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Director
  • North Idaho

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:50 PM

Never seen a Panavision but I have seen a SuperAmerica which probably isn't that suprising.

#6 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

Who says no-one's stolen a Panavision before. :ph34r:

-Matthew Buick, off to spend some time with his planters.

#7 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:22 AM

A Panavision lens (I believe it was a Primo) was on ebay about 5 or 6 years ago. I know Panavision took care of it rather quickly. Luckily, the thief had made a point to post a close up of the serial # in the ad.
I heard about a whole camera truck (with a few Panavision packages on it) being stolen a while ago. The theives tried to hold it for ransom and both the production office and Panavision told them, "Good luck selling the stuff, we're not paying any ransom". The truck was found a day or two later, with all of the gear in the truck and intact, a few miles from where it was stolen.

#8 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:04 AM

There has been a few cases of Panavision insurance write-off's etc. They get dropped into the sea or somtehing and some guy salvages them later.

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

A Panavision lens (I believe it was a Primo) was on ebay about 5 or 6 years ago. I know Panavision took care of it rather quickly. Luckily, the thief had made a point to post a close up of the serial # in the ad.
I heard about a whole camera truck (with a few Panavision packages on it) being stolen a while ago. The theives tried to hold it for ransom and both the production office and Panavision told them, "Good luck selling the stuff, we're not paying any ransom". The truck was found a day or two later, with all of the gear in the truck and intact, a few miles from where it was stolen.

Now see they should have taken them out of the country to sell. I bet the Chinese would love to get their hands on a few Panavision cameras to copy. B)

There has been a few cases of Panavision insurance write-off's etc. They get dropped into the sea or somtehing and some guy salvages them later.

That's cool but were would you get parts to repair them? Machine shop I guess. :unsure:

#10 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

"I bet the Chinese would love to get their hands on a few Panavision cameras to copy."

As would the Russians!

#11 Luke Allein

Luke Allein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • P.A.

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:12 PM

Last month an entire Preston case disappeared from one of the prep rooms. I asked one of the techs about it, and basically had the attitude of "These things happen....". I said "Are you gonna check the security cameras? They said "No", and to this day I'm not sure if that Preston ever resurfaced or if they bothered to check on it.

I was pretty surprised to see everyon so kind of blase about it. (I work at Panavision)

#12 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:15 PM

Now see they should have taken them out of the country to sell. I bet the Chinese would love to get their hands on a few Panavision cameras to copy. B)

Thieves are generally pretty stupid. If they'd been smart enough to think of that they probably wouldn't be a thief.

#13 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

Hey, security is lax there and I know some Chinese and Russian guys, maybe we could....Oh never mind. :D

#14 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:16 PM

I know there are some dumb thieves around.
However, I'm really curious if anyone has ever heard of
a Panavision movie camera being auctioned on eBay?

Stealing a Panavision camera or any serious film camera for that matter
Is like stealing the Hope Diamond or the Mona Lisa.

Not much you can do with it after you have it.
And posting it on Ebay is like rapist or killer posting a video of their crime
Just further concrete evidence.

You have to be a pretty clever thief to steal a camera off the set...
And then turn into pretty stupid person to go and post it on ebay.

However that insurance scam could work.

#15 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:21 AM

Dunno, but I think the idea of selling it to the Russians or Chinese is kinda not bad. :D Do the russians still copy european cameras or did that stop with the end of communism?
And btw why do Panavision refuse to sell their cameras, anyway? I've never really come up with a plausible reason...

#16 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:53 AM

Communism ended? Tell that to Putin, or maybe not, he'll just have your a** poisoned for disagreeing with him. Ex KGB, I guess old habits die hard...as do his critics. B)

#17 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:05 AM

And btw why do Panavision refuse to sell their cameras, anyway? I've never really come up with a plausible reason...

Hi,

If you plan to sell a product, it has to be made to a price at which you can sell it. Panavision has no such restriction so can make products that it can't sell at a profit, however by renting them over a long period can make money (in theory).

Stephen

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly