7 replies to this topic

#1 Marcus Frakes

Marcus Frakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:15 AM

A client is getting a one light 35mm commercial Telecined. We will add visual effects. Is it common to request an output to my Harddrive as uncompressed video or a TIFF / TGA sequence?? How much space is needed for say 10 minutes??

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:01 AM

Hi,

It's a common request, but usually the response is "Hmm, I don't know, it's a bit tricky..." and you end up going to tape first.

Ten minutes of what format? Ten minutes of standard def is about 18Gb, ten minutes of 10-bit 4:4:4 HD is about 105Gb.

Transferring uncompressed HD to a single hard disk will not be a realtime process.

Phil

#3 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:41 AM

It's a common request, but usually the response is "Hmm, I don't know, it's a bit tricky..." and you end up going to tape first.

For good reasons, which have already been discussed here.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

Hi,

Yeah. But.

The thing is, most of the time in these situations you'd be dealing with people (like me) who would be quite happy to just manually hit record on the recorder and play on the telecine and sit back.

In some ways it is very complicated to make it do it in the very specific way that people are used to. In other ways it's actually very simple and it seems odd that people choose not to offer the service.

Phil

#5 Marcus Frakes

Marcus Frakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like getting it direct to Harddrive is still not commonplace at most TK houses....too bad :o it would make life easier. So getting if digibeta tape is the norm we'll go with that and deal with renting a deck or using a transfer service.

BTW. the commercial will be broadcast in PAL, so I believe SD is what will be telecined. Typically they don't scan in HD if the final output is in SD??

#6 Eugene Gekhter

Eugene Gekhter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Digital Image Technician

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like getting it direct to Harddrive is still not commonplace at most TK houses....too bad :o it would make life easier. So getting if digibeta tape is the norm we'll go with that and deal with renting a deck or using a transfer service.

BTW. the commercial will be broadcast in PAL, so I believe SD is what will be telecined. Typically they don't scan in HD if the final output is in SD??

While we're not doing a traditional telecine on a flying spot scanner, we have a proprietary setup that captures direct to hard drive HD 1080p uncompressed as 8 bit 4:2:2 .avi. This results in 70GB for a 10 minute piece.

Best,

~ Eugene
www.filmtransfer.com
eugene@filmtransfer.com

#7 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

check out www.cinelab.com, they do uncompressed 10 bit SD to hard drive in either NTSC or PAL. They do not charge extra, do great work and tk straight to a disk array then transfer to your hard drive. I have used them many times and will continue to do so.

chris

#8 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

The thing is, most of the time in these situations you'd be dealing with people (like me) who would be quite happy to just manually hit record on the recorder and play on the telecine and sit back.

In some ways it is very complicated to make it do it in the very specific way that people are used to. In other ways it's actually very simple and it seems odd that people choose not to offer the service.

That's what we do, but it requires going through the entire lab roll for color correction first in order to lay it down without an edit. This is necessary because there are very, very few circumstances in which one light works for an entire lab roll on a video transfer, regardless of what the cameramen who shoot them think.

check out www.cinelab.com, they do uncompressed 10 bit SD to hard drive in either NTSC or PAL. They do not charge extra, do great work and tk straight to a disk array then transfer to your hard drive. I have used them many times and will continue to do so.

You might also want to check out Cineworks in Miami.
Disclaimer: I work there.

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS