#1 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

Can someone describe the first element of the Canon 1014 XLs lens? Is it flat or rounded like the 814 and other lenses? I can't tell if someone has a bad UV filter on the one I am looking at for possible purchase or if this is the actual first element of the lens assy.

Thanks,

Sean McHenry

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

Can someone describe the first element of the Canon 1014 XLs lens? Is it flat or rounded like the 814 and other lenses? I can't tell if someone has a bad UV filter on the one I am looking at for possible purchase or if this is the actual first element of the lens assy.

Thanks,

Sean McHenry

I guess it's flat, but it's still round. It's not ball shaped if that is what you are asking. If the lens filter is hard to take off then it might not be worth acquiring.

#3 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

I suppose "round" was a dumb choice of words...

Yep, I meant spherical. I have never known the front lens element of any camera to be flat. That's why I was hoping it was a filter. It's looking more like it's the actual first element of the lens however. That's sad as it's not in good shape.

Sean

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:22 AM

I suppose "round" was a dumb choice of words...

Yep, I meant spherical. I have never known the front lens element of any camera to be flat. That's why I was hoping it was a filter. It's looking more like it's the actual first element of the lens however. That's sad as it's not in good shape.

Sean

Always best to try an actual cartridge of film before judging the cosmetics or ballistics of a Super-8 camera.
I recall getting a sharp image even when the f?stop was wide open in a dimly lit room.

#5 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:38 PM

Always best to try an actual cartridge of film before judging the cosmetics or ballistics of a Super-8 camera.
I recall getting a sharp image even when the f?stop was wide open in a dimly lit room.

I suppose I should have said the problem with the front lens element is getting hazy. Like the coatings are going bad. I have cleaned the outer lens area but most of the haze seems to be on the backside of the initial lens. That's why I was asking if there was a UV filter I could just spin off with a little extra force.

It does not appear to be the old lens fungus issue, just the coatings are getting that rainbow coloration to them.

From speaking with others here it seems this camera did indeed have a flat front lens surface. I suppose I will be sending this to Super16 for Bernie to look at and see if it can be saved.

Sean McHenry

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery