Michael J. Schilling

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:21 PM

I'm going to be unsing the Z1U to shoot a couple of NFL spec commercials but barely have any info on the camera. I know it does 1080I and below. What I need to figure out is: A) Is there a way to capture in slow motion equal to 48fps and keep the high quality, B) Is there a way to live capture straight to hard drive or how shoot it be imported if captured to the minidv tape, C) Are there any hiccups with the Z1U that usually cause some difficulties . Thankx for your time guys.or complications? Any and all help will be greatly apprecciated. Thankx for your time guys.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

> Is there a way to capture in slow motion equal to 48fps and keep the high quality

Sort of. You can shoot 30i (or whatever the NTSC version does) and bob-deinterlace the result in post. This will give you 60fps with approximately half the vertical resolution. It looks... reasonable, especially if you are finishing to SD.

> Is there a way to live capture straight to hard drive

At least two ways. You can shoot with a firestore and get on disk exactly what you'd have had on tape, or for a little more money and equipment, you can record the component outputs to a hard disk recorder uncompressed.

Difficulties? None other than that it's a little handycam with an annoying servo lens.

Phil

Tai Audio

The Slider

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC