Cooke 10.8-54mm T1.7 super 17 Zoom

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JP Creatives

JP Creatives
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

Hello,

I just got a Cooke 10.8-54mm T1.7 super 16mm lens. It was a 20-100mm zoom that has been converted supposedly by Cooke themselves. I am yet to shoot with it because I am waiting on a couple of accessories, such as lens support.

Anyone use one of these? Hear anything about them? I couldn't find anything about this lens, but going by the speed T1.7, nice close focus of 2'4", and of course the fact that it is a Cooke, I thought it would be a good purchase.

I am tempted to call Cooke, but I fear that they will say "What on earth are you talking about? We never converted anything of the kind."

Let me know what you think,

Jon

Hello,

Sorry, I did not invent a new format super 17mm I meant super 16 in the Topic title.

Thanks,

Jon

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:33 PM

Hi John.

I think the Cooke 20-100mm turns up in various configurations, I saw a 14-70mm on Ebay recently.
FWIW Cooke is offering a S16 conversion for the 18-100mm.

Stephen

Hello,

I just got a Cooke 10.8-54mm T1.7 super 16mm lens. It was a 20-100mm zoom that has been converted supposedly by Cooke themselves. I am yet to shoot with it because I am waiting on a couple of accessories, such as lens support.

Anyone use one of these? Hear anything about them? I couldn't find anything about this lens, but going by the speed T1.7, nice close focus of 2'4", and of course the fact that it is a Cooke, I thought it would be a good purchase.

I am tempted to call Cooke, but I fear that they will say "What on earth are you talking about? We never converted anything of the kind."

Let me know what you think,

Jon

Hello,

Sorry, I did not invent a new format super 17mm I meant super 16 in the Topic title.

Thanks,

Jon

#3 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

They came out shortly after the 20-100mm when S16 was still in its infancy and the NPR was THE S16 camera.
There was an article in Fiulmmakers Newsletter about using one on an NPR on an industrial or documentary.
Can't recall much else. Probably not many of them.

It was from Cooke and not some outside modification.

#4 JP Creatives

JP Creatives
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:40 PM

They came out shortly after the 20-100mm when S16 was still in its infancy and the NPR was THE S16 camera.
There was an article in Fiulmmakers Newsletter about using one on an NPR on an industrial or documentary.
Can't recall much else. Probably not many of them.

It was from Cooke and not some outside modification.

Thanks, good to know. For a second after I bought it I thought it was the conversion that Cooke now has advertised, but that turns the lens into a T1.65 not a T1.7. I suppose they have done different variations over the years. This one being an earlier version than the new one (which costs 14,000) to do.

One thing to mention though is the thing is an absolute monster. It's like holding a baby. The largest lens I have ever encountered, although it would be the only 35mm zoom I have ever held, so that could be why.

Thanks,

Jon

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:53 PM

One thing to mention though is the thing is an absolute monster. It's like holding a baby. The largest lens I have ever encountered, although it would be the only 35mm zoom I have ever held, so that could be why.

I suspect that's why it wasn't a big seller.

#6 JP Creatives

JP Creatives
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:15 PM

I suspect that's why it wasn't a big seller.

Well it's the same size as a 20-100, so it's big in relation to a 16mm rig. I can't wait to be arrested for possession of a rocket launcher. Amazing!

Visual Products

Opal

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Tai Audio