• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nitejrny282

nitejrny282
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:57 PM

Last year I shot a couple thousand feet of 16mm VISION 2 color negative as well as some Black & White PLUS-X 7231. And what amazed me was the beautiful look I got when I pulled the color out of the color negative footage using Final Cut Pro. Compared to the richest shots I got from the black and white negative, it couldn't compare with the range I got with the vision 2.

I read that the Coen Brothers discovered this when they were forced to shoot their black and white masterpiece THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE in color negative for foreign distribution.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

It makes economic sense for Kodak to put research and development in bettering their color negative, since Black and White is such a small market.

Unless price is an issue, why not just shoot using the Vision 2?

What are the benefits of shooting 16mm black and white negative?

#2 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:51 PM

Last year I shot a couple thousand feet of 16mm VISION 2 color negative as well as some Black & White PLUS-X 7231. And what amazed me was the beautiful look I got when I pulled the color out of the color negative footage using Final Cut Pro. Compared to the richest shots I got from the black and white negative, it couldn't compare with the range I got with the vision 2.

I read that the Coen Brothers discovered this when they were forced to shoot their black and white masterpiece THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE in color negative for foreign distribution.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

It makes economic sense for Kodak to put research and development in bettering their color negative, since Black and White is such a small market.

Unless price is an issue, why not just shoot using the Vision 2?

What are the benefits of shooting 16mm black and white negative?

for the small fish, BW negs are good as than can easily be processed @ home.

#3 Bryan Darling

Bryan Darling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Director
  • Sacramento, CA

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:50 PM

For one you'll find black and white to be more versatile and varying in possible development processes. Additionally, the stock is half the price. There's a lot you can do with filtration for contrast and rendering various colors differently. I myself shoot mostly black and white, it's a medium I love so I'm biased. I also enjoy grain as a texture so it's nothing I've ever worried about. There is also a big difference when going from 16mm to 35mm in b&w. Just look at the films coming out of the 60's that were shot using the current b&w film stocks available, especially those by Haskell Wexler. I like how it allows for everything from a very finished clean look to a grungy "real" look, say Cassavetes.

#4 James Erd

James Erd
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Director
  • Palo Alto, CA

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:40 PM

I love B&W for it's simplicity and economy. I can adjust anything including the chemistry without being charged extra by the lab [ I am the lab ]. I also compound my own chemistry which saves even more money. With color stock everything gets more complicated and more expensive.

Edited by James Erd, 30 November 2006 - 11:41 PM.

Tai Audio

CineTape

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Technodolly

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies