#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:10 PM

So I'm looking to invest in a HVX200 but im concerned that my macbook pro will not have the power to support the footage from the P2 cards?

Also, im concerned as to how i get the footage from the P2 cards onto my macbook pro and then to my hard drive?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Jamie McIntyre

#2 Jim Feldspar

Jim Feldspar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:55 PM

So I'm looking to invest in a HVX200 but im concerned that my macbook pro will not have the power to support the footage from the P2 cards?

Also, im concerned as to how i get the footage from the P2 cards onto my macbook pro and then to my hard drive?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Jamie McIntyre

Ironically, a Powerbook with its PCMIA slot will accept P2 cards but your latest and greatest
MacBookPro does not have this slot. You can go by Firewire into your laptop using the camera
or a Firestore, or a P2 card reader with USB connector.

I like the Firestore idea because you can use it to record like a P2 card and also then to load into
your computer.

#3 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

Ironically, a Powerbook with its PCMIA slot will accept P2 cards but your latest and greatest
MacBookPro does not have this slot. You can go by Firewire into your laptop using the camera
or a Firestore, or a P2 card reader with USB connector.

I like the Firestore idea because you can use it to record like a P2 card and also then to load into
your computer.

Thank you.

Ah right, well shame on Apple for doing that, it does'nt really make sense.

So how much is a firestone or a p2 card reader?

Thanks again,

Jamie McIntyre

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

If you're planning on shooting full 1080i HD, I'd suggest getting a Firestore for the HVX. The P2 cards are a fantastic piece of technology, however the cost for an 8gig card is impractical. You can get a Firestore with a bigger hard drive for not too much more than you'll spend on a pair of P2's.

A line producer friend of mine recently worked on a short film that was shot on the HVX. They purchased 3 x 8gig P2 cards and raved about how easy they were to use. When one fills up you just switch it out and load it onto the computer while still shooting with the other two. But still, you can forego even having to switch anything out by getting a Firestore.

I don't have any prices for you, it's best to shop around.

#5 sibte hassan

sibte hassan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

I have a MacBook pro and I rented a card reader for a shoot, it didnt work, because panasonic hasnt developed drivers for intel based Macs yet. The best bet would be to have a Mac with a slot that will accept the P2 card. Working on shorts and music videos, its a bummer to have your camera act like a firewire drive. Now my most efficient workflow is to have the previous model of mac laptop, two 4gig cards, HVX and 60GB ipod (to dump footage, if i know that i will not have access to power up my external firewire/usb drive). One more thing is that the internal slot is much faster in transferring data than hooking up the camera to computer.

#6 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:30 PM

Just keep in mind that the firestore restricts you a little bit as to what types of footage (framerates, 24pn, etc.) that you can capture.

Personally, I keep an older mac laptop that has a p2 reader with the camera.

I do use the firestore to, but working with the p2 cards is not that difficult.

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

The Slider