3 replies to this topic

#1 alfredoparra

alfredoparra
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Producer

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:52 AM

can anybody give me advice on the best way to shoot a music video with one camera? Im looking for info on camera angles, Im going to film the artist preforming the intire song three times, first for long shot, second for medium shot, third for close up, not sure if I should have the artist do the intire song for each angle then cut it up? Im using five diffrent locations does this sound right? any feed back would be great!

#2 Luke Allein

Luke Allein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • P.A.

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:04 PM

Get as many interesting angles and as much footage as you can. Think about the editing, think about the style of music videos. A lot of rapid cutting, nobody wants to sit there and watch a straight on shot for 3 minutes. You have to keep it dynamic and keep people's attention. Thanks to MTV, most of our attention spans are about as long as a chipmunk's on speed.

#3 alfredoparra

alfredoparra
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Producer

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

Get as many interesting angles and as much footage as you can. Think about the editing, think about the style of music videos. A lot of rapid cutting, nobody wants to sit there and watch a straight on shot for 3 minutes. You have to keep it dynamic and keep people's attention. Thanks to MTV, most of our attention spans are about as long as a chipmunk's on speed.

Thanks for your feed back!

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:21 AM

I second that advice. An entire music video from only 3 angles could lack the attractive dynamic that we're used to seeing in videos. Depends on what you're going for, some videos are just one shot, and yet the subject is interesting enough to watch for the entire length of the song (ie that one with Alanis Morissette...can't recall the title of the song).

But if you're worried about coverage, yeah, get all your long, mediums & closeups, from various angles. And do a few more takes where the camera is doing tracking shots, trucking sideways, overhead, etc... The more coverage you can afford to get, the better, I say.

Quantum Music Works

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Zylight

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Technodolly