3 replies to this topic

#1 jon lawrence

jon lawrence
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:11 PM

Hi, can anyone recomend a good lens for a canon xl1s. I'm trying to acheive a more "cinematic" feel with the camera and I read that the best thing to do would be to buy a either a x14 or x16 manual focus lens. To be honest I'm a little in over my head. Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 Jay Gladwell

Jay Gladwell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

The lens alone will not give you a "cinematic" look. Some prefer the manual lenses over the stock lens.

The web is overloaded with articles and various forums are stuffed with techniques on how to achieve a more cinematic look while shooting on video. Do some (web) homework and you'll find more than you probably care to know on the topic. Just use the "search" feature and you'll be all set.

#3 andrew todd

andrew todd

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:26 PM

if youre just starting out you should try to get as good of an image out of your camera as you can and practice with that for a while. The xl series are awesome cameras... when u think u can handle it look into 35mm adapters like the letus35xl at www.adapterplace.com I love mine

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:45 PM

The 14x manual focus lens is the sharpest lens that was ever made for that camera. They are pretty tough to come by these days. It was a Canon ENG lens that Canon converted the mount so it would fit the XL1 after Fujinon came out with a lens for the camera and embarrassed Canon.

I had one for a few years and loved it. Just make sure you use a tripod as the lens has no image stabilization and gets pretty shaky when zoomed in.

-Tim

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Opal

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Tai Audio

Technodolly