#1 David Lloyd

David Lloyd

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

hello, i am going to be shooting a quick night scene with a sodium street light colored key and a moonlight edge using tungsten lights and was wondering what a good gelling setup would be for this. i was thinking something along the lines of amber for the key and i've heard to use 1/2 CTB and 1/4 + Green...does this sound right?

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

It always depends on what your opinion of "moonlight" is and what your visual palette is for the film.

The CTB with a plus green will give it a moonlight with an artificial fluorescent element, most likely. If that's what you're going for.

Using a full CTB on a tungsten works for some too. That's what I've used, while underexposing it by about 1 stop.

#3 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

You may like it but it will depend on how you time your shots. If you time the orange out of the Sodium vapors lights you will fins the tungsten with ½ ctb to be very blue. At least as blue as a full ctb. If you time the green out you may find that the ?moonlight? goes magenta because the 1/4 + green hasn't completely matched the green of the Sodium Vapor. Different film stocks and video cameras respond differently. With video at least you can see the result immediately.

#4 David Lloyd

David Lloyd

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:54 AM

thanks for the suggestions guys i think i'm going to show up with a full range of CTB and some + Green and play around...why not, right? just to clarify, we are going to use gels on tungsten heads to mimic the orange wash of sodium lights (we aren't shooting directly under any, but they're the motivation for the key), i was thinking amber gels for sodium, does that sound right?

Edited by David Lloyd, 05 December 2006 - 09:55 AM.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

Sounds good to me. I've used CT Straw gels to mimic that look before as well, it's worth a shot if you're interested to see what it looks like.

#6 David Calson

David Calson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Other
  • Georgia

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

I'd like to continue this thread as I'm having a similar setup. What other combos make for good moonlight? I've seen 183 'moonlight blue' and it looks pretty good, but just wondering if there's something else that looks even more real.

#7 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:31 AM

I'd like to continue this thread as I'm having a similar setup. What other combos make for good moonlight? I've seen 183 'moonlight blue' and it looks pretty good, but just wondering if there's something else that looks even more real.

We discuss moonlight all the time here:

http://www.cinematog...hlite=moonlight

#8 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:31 AM

We discuss moonlight all the time here:

http://www.cinematog...hlite=moonlight

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineTape

Tai Audio

Opal

The Slider

CineLab