#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:35 PM

My beautiful Kinor 35H arrived safely TODAY!!! I was a little worried because it came from the Ukraine and I had no way of knowing for sure if it would get here. I did as much research on the seller as possible and decided he was trustworthy, and fortunately he very much was. I have been trying to get a sound sync camera for a while now and finally was able to buy a Kinor 35H complete package with 12 lenses and 4 mags (2 1000ft, 2 500ft.) at the right price and can't wait to start shooting with it! I am completely JAZZED about this! All I can say is WOO HOO!!! :D :D :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 04 December 2006 - 11:36 PM.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

My beautiful Kinor 35H arrived safely TODAY!!!............All I can say is WOO HOO!!!

Mazeltov, may the Force be with you this Christmas season!
(hey, you mix metaphors your way, I'll mix'em my way).

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:49 PM

"L'Chaim! Luke, I am your father and Feliz Navidad!...I sorry, I'm a bit giddy THIS IS SO GREAT :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 04 December 2006 - 11:50 PM.

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:55 PM

"L'Chaim! Luke, I am your father and Feliz Navidad!...I sorry, I'm a bit giddy THIS IS SO GREAT :D

Curse You, Capt. Video!

Seriously,

Let me know if you run into any electronics questions with the Kinor. I know nothing from Kinors but a heck of a lot about control circuits, power supplies, etc., etc.

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:06 AM

Thanks Man, I case haven't said it before, Hal, you rock, dude! B)

#6 Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hey, sorry to miss this post and a belated CONGRATS.

Sounds like a great package. You're fortunate to get it as a package rather than piecemeal as I did. I had already owned a Konvas 2m and lenses so it made sense for me to pick up a 35h body and a few mags and accessories when I got a great deal. The only problem is I couldn't find any 500' mags as they are very rare outside of a complete Kinor package. I've only just recently found the original side rod mounted onboard mattebox that's so good for handheld work. For now that's handheld with the 1000's which luckily wrap nicely around the shoulder.

Anyway congrats again on the kit, I hope your viewfinder issues are quickly resolved. Any progress?

Cheers,

Ian

#7 Igor Trajkovski

Igor Trajkovski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Other
  • Macedonia

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:48 PM

Great!
I am happy for you.
Congrats!

Now be a "komrade" and take a few snapshots of
your new kamera and accessory.
:)

Regars

Igor

#8 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:35 AM

Hey, sorry to miss this post and a belated CONGRATS.

Sounds like a great package. You're fortunate to get it as a package rather than piecemeal as I did. I had already owned a Konvas 2m and lenses so it made sense for me to pick up a 35h body
Ian

You must be very careful to use lenses from Konvas-2M with Kinor-35 H camera.
You can damage of mirror disk of Kinor-35.
Yes, Kinor-35 and Konvas-2M have similar lens mount, but, have difference request of rear distance between film gate and rear glass of lens.
Konvas-2M can use lenses with distance of 13.5 mm from rear glass of lens and film gate,
Kinor-35 H need minimum 18.5 mm.
This is a few millimeters a difference broken many mirror disks.
The better, if you will use lenses from Kinor-35 H camera with Konvas.
The base plate with follow focus mechanism and universal lens hood can be use with Konvas.

#9 Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

Yes, Kinor-35 and Konvas-2M have similar lens mount, but, have difference request of rear distance between film gate and rear glass of lens.
Konvas-2M can use lenses with distance of 13.5 mm from rear glass of lens and film gate,
The base plate with follow focus mechanism and universal lens hood can be use with Konvas.

Greetings,

Thanks for the advice. I've been aware of the issues with Konvas 2m lenses and the Kinor and have been very careful not to use lenses which will hit the mirror and groundglass. Almost all of my Lomos lenses work fine with the Kinor, as they have the 50 pitch gearing for the Kinor. Only a 50/2.3 wouldn't fit, as the focus mechanics protruded too far into the Kinor body. I noticed this luckily before I did any damage.

Thanks for the good advice though.

Cheers,

Ian dudley

#10 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:37 AM

Great!
I am happy for you.
Congrats!

Now be a "komrade" and take a few snapshots of
your new kamera and accessory.
:)

Regars

Igor

Das Vidanya, Komrade. (which can be roughly translated into English as "to the wisdom of your ancestors".) I will! Hey in the meantime can you post some pics of yours? I'd love to see it. B)

Are there any of the Konvas 2m square front anamorphics that have rear elements short enough to clear the Kinor 35H mirror?

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 16 December 2006 - 12:34 AM.

#11 Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:04 AM

Das Vidanya, Komrade. (which can be roughly translated into English as "to the wisdom of your ancestors".) I will! Hey in the meantime can you post some pics of yours? I'd love to see it. B)
Are there any of the Konvas 2m square front anamorphics that have rear elements short enough to clear the Kinor 35H mirror?

Hi,

I think none of the square front primes will fit the Kinor. I have tried them all (35,50,80) and they wouldn't fit. The rear grouping is just too long.

Cheers,

Ian

#12 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:36 AM

Oh Captain, my Captain,

Congrats. Have you rolled with it yet? Tell all! What's the big news? Is the image sharp? Is the registration good? C'mon, man! We need this news like junkies need a fix.

#13 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:03 AM

Hi,

I think none of the square front primes will fit the Kinor. I have tried them all (35,50,80) and they wouldn't fit. The rear grouping is just too long.
Cheers,

Ian

I have similar opinion.
The anamorphic lenses with square front glass can have problem with Kinor-35H camera.

The original set of anamoprhic lenses of Kinor-35 H included :
35 BAS-27-1 35 mm F2.0
35 BAS 22-2 50 mm F2.0
35 BAS 23-2 75 mm F2.0

The specail orders include too:
35 BAS-25-1 100 mm F 2.8
35 BAS-2-2 150 mm F3.5 with special back part.
and other.

For information.
The optical technicians from St-Petersburg created a technology a modification of
anamoprhic lenses with square front glass on Arri PL lens mount.

#14 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:53 AM

Oh Captain, my Captain,

Congrats. Have you rolled with it yet? Tell all! What's the big news? Is the image sharp? Is the registration good? C'mon, man! We need this news like junkies need a fix.

Not yet, Amigo, I'm having trouble with the viewfinder, can't get an image through it plus I still need to pick up some power for it, eather batteries or a power source. I've just sent off the cash for a partial set of anamorphics (50 and 75mm), a large Follow focus, a matte box and an extra backup set of electronics. I also bought a couple of O'Connor 100s and am talking to Steve Morton about a video tap and adaptor to make the much easier to find and more availible Konvas De-anamorphic viewfinder work with this camera. I also still need sticks capible of holding up this beast. I found a matched set of tall and short sticks that should work with the O'Connors and I'll see what I can get them for. I messed with the viewfinder today, trying to adjust it but still no luck. I may have to ship it off which is gonna piss me off to no end but I already told the guy I bought it from if I have to do that HE needs to pay for it because our deal was one camera in GOOD WORKING ORDER and I expect to have what I paid for. We'll see how it goes. B)

#15 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

El Capitan,

Sorry to hear about your bad news. I've learned that buying a used camera is rather like buying a used car. In your budgeting you should add the cost of a couple of repairs to the purchase price just to make sure you have enough dough set aside to have a running camera. Still, it seems to be quite abit cheaper than buying a camera right off the showroom floor. I hope your fix-its go smoothly.

#16 Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:47 PM

Are you aware of a company in Australia that works on Kinors? I think it is the Amanda Group. If not, I'll get their info for you. Good luck, Mark

#17 Kevin Masuda

Kevin Masuda
  • Sustaining Members
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

Yeah The Aranda Group in Australia does wonderful work. Talk to Bruce at Aranda, he's a great help.

Kev

#18 Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:18 PM

My beautiful Kinor 35H arrived safely TODAY!!! I was a little worried because it came from the Ukraine and I had no way of knowing for sure if it would get here. I did as much research on the seller as possible and decided he was trustworthy, and fortunately he very much was. I have been trying to get a sound sync camera for a while now and finally was able to buy a Kinor 35H complete package with 12 lenses and 4 mags (2 1000ft, 2 500ft.) at the right price and can't wait to start shooting with it! I am completely JAZZED about this! All I can say is WOO HOO!!! :D :D :D

James:

So what is the final verdict on the Kinor? Are you happy with it? We would love to know.

Thanks, Mark

#19 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:35 AM

James:

So what is the final verdict on the Kinor? Are you happy with it? We would love to know.

Thanks, Mark

I'll let you know when I get a chance to use it. This one had a minor problem, the siver on the prizm turned black, AT LEAST I THINK that what's happened as this is a common ailment on these cameras. I haven't had the cash to send it in the have serviced and checked. All in all though I'm STILL very pleased with the camera. I have 14 lenses, of which 3 are fast and 2 are amamorphic all comperable in quality to Ziess or Cooke for less than what I would have paided for 1 anamorphic lens in a western brand. The biggest problem with these cameras is that parts are not something you go down to the local camera shop and buy. But still given a choice between this camera with everything that came with it and an Arri BL 1 or 2 with 3 lenses for the same price, I'd still stick with the commiecam. Das Vidanya, comrade B)

#20 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:58 AM

I'll let you know when I get a chance to use it. This one had a minor problem, the siver on the prizm turned black, AT LEAST I THINK that what's happened as this is a common ailment on these cameras. I haven't had the cash to send it in the have serviced and checked. All in all though I'm STILL very pleased with the camera. I have 14 lenses, of which 3 are fast and 2 are amamorphic all comperable in quality to Ziess or Cooke for less than what I would have paided for 1 anamorphic lens in a western brand. The biggest problem with these cameras is that parts are not something you go down to the local camera shop and buy. But still given a choice between this camera with everything that came with it and an Arri BL 1 or 2 with 3 lenses for the same price, I'd still stick with the commiecam. Das Vidanya, comrade B)

I'm not quite understanding what happened. Was the camera prepped and sold to you, or was it just sold to you "as is"?

Technodolly

CineTape

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

CineLab

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc