Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:16 AM

Hi there fellow cinematographers.

Over the last 2 days i have been shooting a short for film school. I have not had much experiance in the whole DP aspect of things and this was my first shoot as the DP.

The shot we were doing here was a hand held shot following two characters as they walked over to the bathroom cubicle.

What i tried to achieve was a sort of romantic atmosphere outside yet a cold, hard atmosphere in the cubicle (with the blue light). The scene takes place in a club.

For the lights i used a 600w fresnel with a magneta gel bounced off a green wall. A 1k fresnel with a magneta gel bounced off a white ceiling. And a 1k fresnel bounced off the ceiling.

I also had trouble with ambience (there wasnt enough) so any advice on how to increase ambience but keep harsh lighting like this would be great. i was shooting at 30p on an Xl2.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks,

Jamie McIntyre

Edited by Jamie_dp, 05 December 2006 - 02:18 AM.

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:39 AM

That magenta with the blue in the bathroom stall is so menacing, ha ha. I like it.

What do you mean by "ambience", bounced light from other sources? I'm not too clear on what you mean by it.

#3 David Lloyd

David Lloyd

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:04 AM

ambience like atmosphere?...try a hazer, or the next best thing (but not nearly as good), a fog machine. based on the picture of what i assume is the main actress, she blends with the background too much for my taste. would be better to have actual stills from the shots themselves, or right behind the camera aas it is in the scene. you might try hitting her with a bit of ungelled soft light just to bring out some of the flesh tones that are going completely magenta, even something little like a tweenie or small soft box. or possibly hit her with an edge to mimic that nasty blue in the stall to seperate her from the background.

hope that helps

#4 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:13 PM

ambience like atmosphere?...try a hazer, or the next best thing (but not nearly as good), a fog machine. based on the picture of what i assume is the main actress, she blends with the background too much for my taste. would be better to have actual stills from the shots themselves, or right behind the camera aas it is in the scene. you might try hitting her with a bit of ungelled soft light just to bring out some of the flesh tones that are going completely magenta, even something little like a tweenie or small soft box. or possibly hit her with an edge to mimic that nasty blue in the stall to seperate her from the background.

hope that helps

Thanks for allo the tips guys.

I will incorporate some of these techniques in my next shoot.

Thanks again.

I also just found out i shot one day at 16:9 and one at 4:3

Oooopppssss

:D

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineLab

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS