4 replies to this topic

#1 Brendan mk Uegama

Brendan mk Uegama
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

I'm shooting a short project soon on Super 16. Were making a film noir picture, but I'm deciding what to shoot for...Black and White or Colour. Of course the first thing to come to mind is shooting a film noir in B&W, but I recently watched Road to Perdition by Conrad Hall and that is beautiful film noir in colour.

Our film is going to be submitted to the festivals, and I'm not sure if shooting one over the other has any advantage. Would shooting in colour be any more attractive to them?

Plus, what are some of your favorite film noir pictures?

#2 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:18 PM

I would recommend against B/W for a feature, as distributors don't seem to like it. For a festival short, I'd say black and white all the way. Real B/W looks great, and the stock costs are about half that of color film.

Happy shooting...

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

A lot of productions nowadays shoot in color, but then switch the image to b&w in post, and it seems to work well in most cases.

I'd recommend you go for the Noir in color, and if you want to switch it over to b&w, it's still possible.

#4 Andrew Koch

Andrew Koch
  • Sustaining Members
  • 243 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Burbank, California

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:55 PM

If you want the old Black and White look, shoot on B&W Negative. Don't shoot color "just in case" because then the look will be a compromise either way. B&W negative looks different than color negative converted to B&W because B&W film does not have the Anti-Helation backing, meaning the the higlights bloom in funky ways that give it that distinct old school look. Black and White stocks are much cheaper, they are grainier, so if you don't want grain I would avoid the 7222 Double X. Shoot on the 7231 plus X and if you are doing a Telecine, try to do it on a spirit to cut down on the grain, because plus x is also fairly grainy.

#5 Kim Sargenius

Kim Sargenius
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:04 AM

Of course the first thing to come to mind is shooting a film noir in B&W, but I recently watched Road to Perdition by Conrad Hall and that is beautiful film noir in colour.

Also have a look at 'Klute', shot by Gordon Willis, ASC.

cheers,

Kim

Technodolly

Opal

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets