#1 Tim Grocott

Tim Grocott

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:46 PM

Hi, this is my first post on the site, Its an extremely helpful resource, but I have one question I havent been able to find the answer to yet.
I have just bought my first S8 camera (Canon Autozoom 518 SV) I got it very cheap and it all seems to be working fiine except for the exposure meter.
My problem is that the needle wont move past f.4. It moves freely from f.4 up to f.32 but it wont move the other way.
I have read somewhere that, if not used for a long time, the exposure meter needle can 'dejustify'. If this is the case, is it something that can be fixed?
I am in the process of running the first cartridge through it now, so I havent seen any results from it yet.

Thanks

Tim

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:24 AM

Hi, this is my first post on the site, Its an extremely helpful resource, but I have one question I havent been able to find the answer to yet.
I have just bought my first S8 camera (Canon Autozoom 518 SV) I got it very cheap and it all seems to be working fiine except for the exposure meter.
My problem is that the needle wont move past f.4. It moves freely from f.4 up to f.32 but it wont move the other way.
I have read somewhere that, if not used for a long time, the exposure meter needle can 'dejustify'. If this is the case, is it something that can be fixed?
I am in the process of running the first cartridge through it now, so I havent seen any results from it yet.

Thanks

Tim

When you wrote f.4 to f.32, did you mean f-4.0 to f-32?

The first thing I would want to know is, is the camera accurate in it's readings from f-4 and higher. To do this you would probably want a second camera available, shoot outdoors during the daytime, run both cameras at the exact same frames per second rate and with the filter switch in the identical positions, perhaps use a tripod so the shots can be exactly framed, and then switch out the cartridge between cameras to see if they give similar readings when they are framing the same scene.

Just running a film cartridge through your camera only is also a good test, it's just that you're totally guessing with no fact finding going on as to whether or not the camera exposes film properly or not. I'm suggesting you can learn that just as quickly by comparing to a second camera.

If your camera is accurate from f-4 and higher, than you probably have a camera you can rely on for outdoor daytime shots only. I don't know much about how the light meters actually function, but at least finding out if it's accurate for shots at f-4 and above is a good idea.

#3 Tim Grocott

Tim Grocott

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:33 AM

Yes f.4.0
I have finished off a cartidge today so I will send it off this week (Im in New Zealand so it will take a while.)
I have no idea of how the needle in there works, but to me it looks as if the pivot which the needle is in has shitfed so the needle is only swinging through half of the motion it usually would.
When it hits f.4.0 its like the needle on a rev counter when your car hits the rev limiter (just a little visual to help you guys out.) Its trying to go further, but just wont.

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies