#1 Nadia Krige

Nadia Krige

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:20 PM

Hi...I've recently decided to buy a light meter and would be very grateful for some advice, seeing as my funds are limited. Ive always used the sekonic digital light meters that are provided by my university which are perfect for my needs and so am totally unfamiliar with any other brands. My budget is $150 maximum -can anyone recommend any other brands which may be better, as well as a good place to buy a (new) digital light meter in this price range?

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

They're way more expensive than $150. Shop around and you'll see.

#3 Jim Feldspar

Jim Feldspar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:56 PM

Hi...I've recently decided to buy a light meter and would be very grateful for some advice, seeing as my funds are limited. Ive always used the sekonic digital light meters that are provided by my university which are perfect for my needs and so am totally unfamiliar with any other brands. My budget is $150 maximum -can anyone recommend any other brands which may be better, as well as a good place to buy a (new) digital light meter in this price range?

Where are you? In Boston there's an excellent place that reconditions and sells used meters and
all sorts of gear. It's at the Boston Design Center. I'm spacing on the name right now but I bought
a meter there at about half the price of a new one. I'll get the name but if you're not near see
if there's such a place in your neighborhood. I'd be leery of buying used on the internet though.
With a place such as this, you can go back there and talk to somebody if necessary.

#4 Michael Campanella

Michael Campanella
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Electrician
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:18 AM

Although it's over your budget, I'd recommend going through eBay. A friendo of mine purchased a Sekonic light-meter, through eBay from a company in Hong Kong and saved about 50% on what he would have spent buying it in Sweden. The savings might be smaller if you live in the states, but it's worth giving a look to it.

#5 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

... Buy a minolta 4f - you can't go wrong with this meter, it's easy to use and has cine settings, avering, memory etc etc

Rupe Whiteman UK

#6 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:07 AM

Hi guys,

I am in the similar boat as Nadia our poster here.
I am looking at getting a light meter, and after using friends spectra IV-A on the weekend, I am leaning towards it. However, I would like to know what the main difference between the IV-A and IV is? Just the averaging? Do you find yourself requiring that setting often on the set?

Here are my options, arranged in the order of price. I would prefer not spending too much on a meter if a lower cost one can do the same... I guess I am asking for your opinions on the brand, price and personal comfort.

My options are:

Spectra IV
Spectra IV-A
CineMeter II (80s meter made by GDB Enterprises Burbank CA)
Minolta V F
Sekonic L358
Sekonic L508 (spot as well)
Sekonic L558 (spot as well)
Sekonic L608 (spot as well)

#7 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hi!

I got a Minolta Vf for 150$ on eBay, it's a great meter, I also got the 5 degrees spot attachement for it for 60$. And it's all in good shape.

Shop on eBay.

I think the best you can get for your money is either the Sekonic 358 or the Minolta Vf or IVf.

Christophe

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Opal