Photo

How can you tell when somebody is lighted with a ringlite?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Feldspar

Jim Feldspar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

This question is derived from the post " Say it right (N Furtado) - DIR : Rankin, Music Video" in the
On DVD and television category but nobody has answered my question there, although several of
them talk about how they dislike using ringlites (Why I ask?) and how they can spot the look of a ringlight
right off (How I ask?)

I haven't used a ringlight or been in the presence of one but they sound kind of cool to me. What's the
issue?

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:42 PM

perfectly flat lighting in one convinient unit! The easiest way to tell a ring light is the unnatural circle eyelight in the center of the actors eyes. Thats what distracts me the most. But other problems include very sharp fall off if the actor is close to the camera, and the glamour lighting look is very rarely a good look for motion picture. It looks artificial. Rarely does light come in equal parts from the top, bottom left and right of frame. I have never been a fan of the ring light. never used one, but just in my experience, I rarely put lights that close to the lens, unless its for an eyelight or soft fill. Usually my lights are far from where my camera is. Thats how I like it.

#3 Jim Feldspar

Jim Feldspar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:07 AM

perfectly flat lighting in one convinient unit! The easiest way to tell a ring light is the unnatural circle eyelight in the center of the actors eyes. Thats what distracts me the most. But other problems include very sharp fall off if the actor is close to the camera, and the glamour lighting look is very rarely a good look for motion picture. It looks artificial. Rarely does light come in equal parts from the top, bottom left and right of frame. I have never been a fan of the ring light. never used one, but just in my experience, I rarely put lights that close to the lens, unless its for an eyelight or soft fill. Usually my lights are far from where my camera is. Thats how I like it.

Thanks. It sounds like a good tool for oh...say shooting the cover of "Cosmopolitan" or
something!

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC