• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Curt

Sean Curt
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:23 PM

Im about to order this lighting kit...
http://www.powermax....-dv-903lbz.html

I'll be setting up in my apt to do a news/ interview type setup.. me and another sitting with each other. I also want to use it for photography as well. Is this a good starter kit.

Or by the looks of this kit what would some say it is good for?

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:40 AM

Im about to order this lighting kit...
http://www.powermax....-dv-903lbz.html

I'll be setting up in my apt to do a news/ interview type setup.. me and another sitting with each other. I also want to use it for photography as well. Is this a good starter kit.

Or by the looks of this kit what would some say it is good for?

Looks pretty good for what you want to do. Get a few diffusion peices for it. you can find packs of 20 cut to size for 30 bucks, and maybe a few full sheets of color correction for the softbox. You will have plenty of options for interviews. You'll find you can't do soft daylight scenes easily, if you must compensate for large windows, but the omni with CTB and light diffusion on the doors properly placed can make a great interview, and provide the right exposure.

Interior tungsten shots you have more than adequate wattage to get a good interview. You might want to get a few extra bulbs in different wattages. Consider getting the scrims for the omni, and different watt bulbs for the tota. its a difficult light to scrim properly, you can ND with the frame, but theres still the spill problem, and the frame attaches to the same mount as the umbrella, so its one or the other.

Keep in mind that whole set up is around 2000watts. add camera and monitor and you may be pushing your apt. breaker. If you can get by with 2 or 3 lights then you would be ok, but if you need 4 you should try and use two different circuts.

#3 Sean Curt

Sean Curt
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the earlier response more is welcomed:

When I start doing model photography I want to be able to light my models up like this:
http://www.floriansc...tertainment.htm

I know that he is photoshoping the background...but I have no interested in his scene Im more interested in how he has his subjects lit.

is this kind of lighting setup possible with the lights Im buying?

I notice that each light has 3 letters behind it... for example
1 500w, 120v lamp (FTK) <------------ last 2 letters change when the wattage changes, is there some correlation between the two.
1 Tota-light (T1-10)

Also "Color correction for soft box" I knew there was something I might badly need for making the Softbox appear as day..but what about lighting my scene with different colors,...what else would I need to get...or would I just just tent the scene in Photoshop.

You also said get a few diffusion pieces for it for like 30 bucks.... Where?
and are these "diffusion pieces" universally used for all my lights... or its a different one for different lights.

#4 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:11 PM

If I were starting out on my own now with that budget I might get 1 Lowell 500w Rifa Light, 1 Arri 650w Fresnel(with 300 and 650watt bulbs),a 1k watt Lowell open faced DP light, a reflector,3 bogen light stands, then some Rosco color correction and diffusion gels. A umbrella isn't all that useful to me any more accept for a quick fill. They have always end up getting burned or just fell apart. Never use open faced lights without some sort of diffusion which is why I suggest at least one fresnel.

Edited by Jonathan Bryant, 12 December 2006 - 09:12 PM.

#5 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:51 PM

I notice that each light has 3 letters behind it... for example
1 500w, 120v lamp (FTK) <------------ last 2 letters change when the wattage changes, is there some correlation between the two.

That's the lighting industry standard ANSI (American National Standards Institute) three letter code for each different lamp. It ensures that for a specific type and wattage that a GE equals a Sylvania equals an Osram, etc.

#6 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:30 AM

Thanks for the earlier response more is welcomed:

When I start doing model photography I want to be able to light my models up like this:
http://www.floriansc...tertainment.htm

I know that he is photoshoping the background...but I have no interested in his scene Im more interested in how he has his subjects lit.

is this kind of lighting setup possible with the lights Im buying?

Hello Sean,

Go back to Florian's Contact link on the website and look at the photos of his lighting setup on the dry lake. He appears to be using standard-issue shiny boards to get the hard accent/edge light on the sides and a ProFoto strobe head in a large silver umbrella over camera for a softer front light.

Not really what your lighting kit was designed for, although I’m sure it will prove valuable for many other types of shots.

#7 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:11 AM

Also "Color correction for soft box" I knew there was something I might badly need for making the Softbox appear as day..but what about lighting my scene with different colors,...what else would I need to get...or would I just just tent the scene in Photoshop.

You also said get a few diffusion pieces for it for like 30 bucks.... Where?
and are these "diffusion pieces" universally used for all my lights... or its a different one for different lights.

By color correction I mean gels meant to change the color tempature of bulbs. Since all your sources are 3200 you can start there. Get maybe a 1/4, 1/2 and 1 CTB and CTO full sheets so they cover your whole softbox. CTB changes 3200 to 5500 (making it daylight) and CTO changes 5500 to 3200. Since your correcting 3200 sources, that means CTO will make your lights very warm/orange. the numbers tell you the relative strength of the gell. A 1/4 CTO will only make your image slightly warm, while a 1 CTO will make it very orange. If you want something other than to change the light response according to the black body curve, then look into party gels. These all have crazy names with varying effects. Look at B&H, they have a roscor book for $110 that has several hundred different gels, both in party and CC flavors and are cut to 8x10.

Diffusion (in the packs I am talking about) are all cut to 12x10, which should fit every light you have in that kit, save the softbox (which has its own diffusion). Any peice can be used for any light, but generally you get several (20 or more) sheets of different diffusion from frost to 216. That way you can experiment quickly and see what they all do. You can get them (and all gels I have told you about) at B&H photo. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) you can also get color correction packs with 16 CC gels for around 25 bucks (all cut to 10x12) you will need full sheets (20x24) to cover your softbox. They cost around 5 bucks each.

You can color correct in post, but keep in mind that change is accross the whole image, or what parts you can isolate. If you wanted a human face to be keyed with white light, and have a kicker light that is slightly warm, that needs to be done with gels (maybe no gel on the key and 1/4 or 1/2 CTO on the kicker).

If I were starting out on my own now with that budget I might get 1 Lowell 500w Rifa Light, 1 Arri 650w Fresnel(with 300 and 650watt bulbs),a 1k watt Lowell open faced DP light, a reflector,3 bogen light stands, then some Rosco color correction and diffusion gels. A umbrella isn't all that useful to me any more accept for a quick fill. They have always end up getting burned or just fell apart. Never use open faced lights without some sort of diffusion which is why I suggest at least one fresnel.

Definnatley listen to this advice, though a fresnel might be out of your price range right now. Consider a pepper 420 as your next purchase, or even the arri 650.

The photos you showed as refferance are 98% technique, and 2% gear. Yes you can aproximate the looks they got there, but it will depend on where you place the lights and how you control them, not on the lights they actually use.

....and for 25 bucks I find the umbrella useful from time to time....damn it! lol.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Opal

Abel Cine

CineTape