#1 Natalie Saito

Natalie Saito
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:21 AM

Is there a good site where I can find more information on the Arri35-3. I'm going to work on a short film as AC, possibly loader, and I never used this camera. I want to be prepared. They are shooting with anamorphic lens, which I also never worked with before. thanks for reading!

Edited by NSaito, 13 December 2006 - 12:22 AM.

#2 Kevin Masuda

Kevin Masuda
  • Sustaining Members
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:49 AM

Take a look at the Arriflex 35 Book by Jon Fauer.

Kev

#3 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:59 AM

It's a dead simple, sturdy camera. Built like a tank. Easiest camera in the world to thread.

#4 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:52 PM

Get that John Fauer Arri 35 Book, Arri 35-3 its a very simple and cool camera, good luck.
Oscar

#5 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:41 AM

Yep, while not having a lot of bells and whistles, the Arri III is my favourite Arri for general MOS work.
It just feels so solid and no nonsense!

#6 Natalie Saito

Natalie Saito
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:19 AM

I really liked working with the Arri 35-3; it wasn't hard at all. I'm curiously to see how the footage comes out; we've toward the end of the last roll experimented with the frame rate. We didn't end up using anamorphic; we used 3 perf. -- I was told there wasn't any difference in camera operation, mainly that 4 perf. (typical for anamorphic) uses up the film quicker.

I gotta question for the pros: while you shoot the camera, what would you do if you wanted to change the frame rates (regarding exposure) and zoom or dolly in/out (regarding focus) simultaneously? thanks for reading! Natalie

#7 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

Good luck to the operator..... those old anamorphic extension eyepieces were terrible. I've still got an Arri 3 kit and its bullet proof, dont ever remember a problem with it..... just an out dated viewing system.

I gotta question for the pros: while you shoot the camera, what would you do if you wanted to change the frame rates (regarding exposure) and zoom or dolly in/out (regarding focus) simultaneously? thanks for reading! Natalie

Not sure I understand your question..... but there used to be a speed / aperture control for the arri 3, just had to be set up to the particular lens..... on the 435 the shutter can also take care of the exposure change within certain limitations. As for pulling focus.....thats what the AC does....hopefully

#8 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:23 AM

Good luck to the operator..... those old anamorphic extension eyepieces were terrible.

What was so bad about them? I've never shot anamorphic, so I've always wondered what it looks like through the deanamorphosing (sp?) viewfinder. Would a newer eyepiece extension (like the Arricam) work? Also, were the short anamorphic eyepieces bad also, or just the longer extension tubes?

Thanks, Tony!

#9 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

What was so bad about them? I've never shot anamorphic, so I've always wondered what it looks like through the deanamorphosing (sp?) viewfinder. Would a newer eyepiece extension (like the Arricam) work? Also, were the short anamorphic eyepieces bad also, or just the longer extension tubes?

Thanks, Tony!

From memory the only way to view the unsqueezed image on the Arri 3 is with the extension viewfinder. Its such a small pice of glass the distortion is bad (very difficult to judge focus but ok for framing) and very dark compared to modern systems. You'll need to eye focus on the squeezed image.....

#10 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

From memory the only way to view the unsqueezed image on the Arri 3 is with the extension viewfinder. Its such a small pice of glass the distortion is bad (very difficult to judge focus but ok for framing) and very dark compared to modern systems. You'll need to eye focus on the squeezed image.....

I did an anamorphic show recently where we had some Arri 3s and the baffles were visible in the finder and videotap. Is there any way around that, or are you stuck with that doing anamorphic on a 35-3?

#11 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:25 AM

I did an anamorphic show recently where we had some Arri 3s and the baffles were visible in the finder and videotap. Is there any way around that, or are you stuck with that doing anamorphic on a 35-3?

The baffles were removed on our camera, there is an increased risk of internal flare but that depends on so many other factors also. Check with your rental house.

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc