1 reply to this topic

#1 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:51 AM

I usually have Super 16 footage transferred to NTSC DigiBeta (w/anamorphic squeeze), and I have always been happy with the results. For my next project, I'm considering moving up to HD.

I've talked to the lab, and they recommend going straight to hard disk in DVCPro HD 1080p/23.98fps. I know DVCPro HD isn't as good as uncompressed HD, but it's probably the best HD that the lab can produce and I can actually use (I'm handling editing and conforming on a Mac/FCP system).

All that being said, is DVCPro HD a viable master format, if the final destination is HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/HDTV? And will it downconvert to standard def NTSC and PAL without any problems? One more detail: I don't plan on doing much color correction inside FCP -- I expect the colorist to take care of 95% of color correction during the transfer.

#2 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:19 AM

I usually have Super 16 footage transferred to NTSC DigiBeta (w/anamorphic squeeze), and I have always been happy with the results. For my next project, I'm considering moving up to HD.

I've talked to the lab, and they recommend going straight to hard disk in DVCPro HD 1080p/23.98fps. I know DVCPro HD isn't as good as uncompressed HD, but it's probably the best HD that the lab can produce and I can actually use (I'm handling editing and conforming on a Mac/FCP system).

All that being said, is DVCPro HD a viable master format, if the final destination is HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/HDTV? And will it downconvert to standard def NTSC and PAL without any problems? One more detail: I don't plan on doing much color correction inside FCP -- I expect the colorist to take care of 95% of color correction during the transfer.

Someone with more experience may correct me, but I would think that on a smaller budget, DVCProHD would be fine as a master format if you're not doing heavy effects or grading. It should look acceptable in HD distribution formats, and should downconvert fine.

If going to a higher format would be a significant expense, then it's probably a good choice.

Abel Cine

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks