#1 Ashim

Ashim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:00 AM

Hi,

I'd like to know what would be the effect of exposing the negative perfectly(18% gray) and then
printing it "up" during timing.

Thank You

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:14 AM

Hi,
I'd like to know what would be the effect of exposing the negative perfectly(18% gray) and then
printing it "up" during timing.
Thank You

Printing "up" means printing the image to look brighter. This means using lower printer light numbers. Depending on how low the numbers get, the image can start to have milkier blacks and more grain.

#3 Ashim

Ashim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:42 AM

Printing "up" means printing the image to look brighter. This means using lower printer light numbers. Depending on how low the numbers get, the image can start to have milkier blacks and more grain.

Sir,

Assuming I have a perfectly exposed negative, which shld print in the 30-40 range, I print it up. I use the lower numbers 15-17-19. How can I get a Brighter image when I am pumping less light through the negative onto the print film.

Kindly clarify,
Thank You

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

Sir,

Assuming I have a perfectly exposed negative, which shld print in the 30-40 range, I print it up. I use the lower numbers 15-17-19. How can I get a Brighter image when I am pumping less light through the negative onto the print film.

Kindly clarify,
Thank You

Because you have to think backwards when dealing with negative...

Print film is basically a negative film -- it's making a negative from a negative, which means it ends up as a positive image. And the more light you add to print film, the darker it gets. Ever expose a piece of b&w printing paper to light and develop it? It becomes darker.

The thinner (less exposed) a negative is, the easier it is for the printing light to pass through it, so you have to use lower numbers to compensate. The denser (more exposed) a negative is, the more light you have to pump through it.

So printing a negative to end up looking like a brighter positive image means using less light when printing.

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

CineTape

Glidecam

Abel Cine