Photo

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers destroying my brain!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:38 PM

Having been bedridden for a couple of days and holed up in a hotel with TV (I don't have or watch TV in my home), I have had the questionable pleasure re-acquaint myself with all these daytime shows. It's been a steady stream of Xena, Power Rangers, the odd ultra low budget sci-fi series or fantasy melodrama with rattling sets and whatnot.

All I can say is that I'm totally appalled by the cinematography in most of them. Why is it that they, for instance, cover everything with really (and I mean REALLY) wide lenses? Preferrably from below or some angle that doesn't cut at all with the previous one. I mean, who came up the idea that a good close-up lens would be best achieved by sticking a 5,5mm on from below on your heroine? And it's ALL close-up's, btw.

The lighting on top of this the real treat: they think nothing of mixing Congo-blue "moon light" as a hard rim with a warm, yet still very unpleasing, front light. And so it goes on. The Power Rangers is totally unlit it seems most of the time. With the 5,5mm lens glued on for every shot.

Appalling, appalling. I know they have a lot to do every day on those shows with 10 pages, but that's still no excuse. East Enders, Coronation Street or Days Of Our Lives or any of those daytime soap operas shoot even more and still manage to look reasonable.

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

From what I've seen of power rangers which has shot here in Auckland NZ (you often turn a corner and there they are again at 'bland civic location # 5b') its always a small crew battling with weather (wind) and shooting in public spaces, I dont envy the location PA's job at all - most of the time it would seem goes into stunts and helping the poor bastards in and out of those 'baddy' suits.

Someone, somewhere is making money from it cos someone somewhere is paying for the advertising around it cos someone somewhere likes watching it -

scary...

#3 Kevin Masuda

Kevin Masuda
  • Sustaining Members
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:24 PM

From what I've seen of power rangers which has shot here in Auckland NZ (you often turn a corner and there they are again at 'bland civic location # 5b') its always a small crew battling with weather (wind) and shooting in public spaces, I dont envy the location PA's job at all - most of the time it would seem goes into stunts and helping the poor bastards in and out of those 'baddy' suits.

Someone, somewhere is making money from it cos someone somewhere is paying for the advertising around it cos someone somewhere likes watching it -

scary...

Yeah, good ol' Disney.

Kev

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

CineTape