Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:31 PM

Hi,

I was watching the BBC's 1990 dramatisation of The Silver Chair, I noticed that it looked like it was shot in video, yet it was ver pleasant video, it wasn't as crude and cold as the Betacam used in ENG at the time, and as this was a kid's show I wouldn't have thought the BBC would give a monkeys about the picture quality, what camera(s) were used in the making of this series, and who was the DP(S)?

#2 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:56 PM

Hi,

I was watching the BBC's 1990 dramatisation of The Silver Chair, I noticed that it looked like it was shot in video, yet it was ver pleasant video, it wasn't as crude and cold as the Betacam used in ENG at the time, and as this was a kid's show I wouldn't have thought the BBC would give a monkeys about the picture quality, what camera(s) were used in the making of this series, and who was the DP(S)?

I don't know for sure, since I threw my old VHS of it out, but i assume its Betacam SP as DigiBeta wasn't introduced till 1993. Perhaps the fact you find it looks better than most Betacam SP is because its drama shot with a greater level of care than news or documentry material.

Its a shame the BBC didn't have the for-sight to shoot it with a larger budget and on a a film format, that way it could have been a global success, after all stories like this have universal appeal.

#3 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:29 PM

I have the DVD, and I tell you it looks bloody excellent, perhaps as good as 16mm of the time, the effects are a little ropey, though,

I thought the night time scenes on the Dawn Treader were very nicely done, I thought the cameras used in that series were tube powered, due to a few trails I saw when the camera tracked past a light, this might just have been due to the enormous contrast between the aforemention lamps and the rest of the scene, but I think by the time Silver Chair was shot the following year they had CCD cameras (I didn't notice any trails),

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

The Slider

Ritter Battery