Photo

How can I light a dark Blue Gel on my character's face?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joey Dee

Joey Dee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Director
  • Canada

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:46 AM

Hey Folks,

I was reading this post: http://www.cinematog...showtopic=19232 - in which I found it very helpful along with that youtube example.

My question is - how can i get the right amount of lighting (with blue gel) on my characters face without under or over exposing my scene?

I have 2 (650) and 2 (1k) lighting gear along with all kinds of different color gels. The reason whY i want to use dark blue because my character will decide to take her own life (commit suicide) and to me that is a cold hearted thing to do and this is why I would like to use a dark blue color (as blue is associated to "cold")

I am filming on a Bolex 16mm camera and using a 25mm lense and will be pretty much 1 - 3 meters away from my character. Also I will use a 75mm lense and will be 5 feet away and finaly i will use a 10mm lense and will be around 2meters away, I'm not sure if this info is asked for when you ask for help on lighting but I thought i would include it since I am new to this commity and I would like to be as specific as possible.

So yesterday i was testing out the lighting set up myself and i put the blue gel on the 1k light and pointed it @ my character and turned the knob down on the light to get a hard blue color and it look very nice! but when I looked through the view finder it wasn't that clear, meaning it was still a little dark so how can I set up this scene properly? Should I point light to the ceiling and get it to beem down to the ground? Because if I point it in the same direction it kills the blue.

Here's an example of what I would like (i know the mise en scene is favoured in blue) also I will be doing alot of close up shots so here is an example and just to be more clear, I'll show the location Im shooting @ - sorry for the long post but again I just wanted to give you as much information and get your expert advice.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

many thanks,
my best,
Joey Dee

#2 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:11 PM

I don't have the complete answer, but colored gels, a.k.a. party gels, tend to absorb a lot of light. For example, a 1K EGT globe emits 28,500 lumens. A Rosco #66, Cool Blue gel will transmit 67% of the light energy. A little over 19,000 lumens will be available to light your scene. A #367, Slate Blue gel will transmit only 20%, leaving you with only 5,700 lumens. Depending on how wide the shot is and the transmission factor of the gel you select, you may need multiple, higher wattage fixtures to give you the exposure you need. Get your self some gel swatchbooks, available at your supplier or direct from Rosco, Lee, GAM on their websites.

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio