#1 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:46 PM

Hi everyone, I am looking into workshops, DOP workshops, lighting workshops. I do not have a tremendous amount of time ( a month to the max ), neither do I have a tremendous amount of money... What are my options? What is the best lighting workshop one can attend? I do not care where it is given, I'll travel.

Thanks for sharing infos! I am currently looking into a workshop given in Guthenburg, Sweden, but it seems a bit short, 5 days.... 1800 euros...

Christophe

#2 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:47 PM

Any leads???

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:31 AM

I've heard good things of USC's workshops, a friend of mine came back from one with a wealth of knowledge that he didn't have before. I've never attended one myself though.

#4 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:37 AM

hi

take a look at:http://www.theworkshops.com/

i think thay have what you look for

try to take the tast of film skill to know your lavel

#5 John Hall

John Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Best Boy
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:02 AM

If you want something close by, and not too expensive, the Canadian Society of Cinematographers has a weekened workshop they put on every once in a while.

http://www.csc.ca/education/

The course is taught by George Willis C.S.C., who is one of the best commercial D.P.'s in Toronto.
It's two full days, Saturday & Sunday and they usually hold the course at William F White, a lighting & grip rental house in Toronto.
Cost is $325.
The website seems a bit out of date, so give them a call and ask them if they have another one planned in the future.

You could probably go with the Intermediate Lighting course as I know people who have taken both and they said the basic one was pretty basic, but feel free to give the CSC a call and ask them what they would recommend for your skill level.

#6 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hey thanks everyone for the infos!

#7 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

I am a huge fan of experience.

Try getting a job on a low budget non union feature where you could work for no or low money, but it would be a crash course in lighting and grip equipment and how things are used. Also on a small crew the gaffer and DP will be very approachable. They may be a bit inexperienced themselves in terms of the big picture, but could at least give you reasons why they are doing what they are doing and with what equipment.

best

Tim

#8 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

I am a huge fan of experience.

Try getting a job on a low budget non union feature where you could work for no or low money, but it would be a crash course in lighting and grip equipment and how things are used. Also on a small crew the gaffer and DP will be very approachable. They may be a bit inexperienced themselves in terms of the big picture, but could at least give you reasons why they are doing what they are doing and with what equipment.

best

Tim

Thanks Tim, I have worked on already a fair amount of shorts, music videos and commercials as DOP. I am a photographer at the basis but have been Dping for a little while. I want to take a workshop in more advanced lighting because althought I have very good knowledge of photography lighting gear, I have very little in Film lighting and I'd like to try stuff out in a stress free environment.

Cheers!

C

#9 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Tim, I have worked on already a fair amount of shorts, music videos and commercials as DOP. I am a photographer at the basis but have been Dping for a little while. I want to take a workshop in more advanced lighting because althought I have very good knowledge of photography lighting gear, I have very little in Film lighting and I'd like to try stuff out in a stress free environment.

Cheers!

C

Hey Christophe,

I'm sorry I didn't elaborate a little further. I was suggesting working with the grips and electricians as a swing, PA, or perhaps electrician, where you coul dbe working with other film lights and understanding how they are used. Lights like 18k, 12k pars, the new Arri SuperMax 18 hmi, dinolights, maxibrutes, xenons, etc, etc. That also mean working with generators and usually tons of 4 ought and 2 ought. If you did two or three movies in the electrical depatment you would learn a lot and may give you ideas for your own work in the future.

Best

Tim

#10 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Tim! On my Christmas party I ran into this beautiful girl, after a while discussing she told me her name and my jaw dropped, I was discussing with one of the best Dps in Montreal. She offered me to work with her next year, apprenticeship sort of thing... So I guess I will be following your advice!

Thanks!

#11 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:26 PM

Anyone we know?

What will you be doing with her? working as an electrician? grip? camera assistant? Loader? Perhaps making lighting plots for each shot? Getting her lunch and coffee?

Good luck.

Tim

Abel Cine

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC