5 replies to this topic

#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:10 AM

I just had my short film "To Profile Monitor and Protect" transfered at Spectra Film & Video.

I am either really impressed with the stock, the Quality of the transfer, or both. The grain is so tight, the colors are really really nice. What's kind of cool is the two locations I shot had minimal lighting. The first outdoors in the early evening was shot with one battery operated fill light for the outdoor scene, although the car lot I shot in had huge overhead HMI style of lights.

The second location was Kulaks woodshed. No additional lighting at Kulak's woodshed was used.

http://www.kulakswoodshed.com/ In case you want to shoot at Kulaks, it might be closed down on Dec. 31 for good because of red tape issues. http://www.dailynews.com/ci_4876690

At Kulak's they use sony cameras, I think they are PD 150's...

I consider the lighting to be subdued at best, and the PD 150's I think are kept wide open (I'm not 100% certain about that). I was able to shoot in that same environment with no additional lighting with a Canon 814XLS at 18 frames per second with the 220 degree shutter and 500T film. If necessary, I also had the 9 frames per second option which I used for a few of the shots.

I am just so pleased with the result.

Back in the 80's I directed my very first local commercial job in 16mm. I took the film to an independent rank transfer house, (long since gone) but they didn't have the proper grain reduction cards. If not for a free redo at another facility, the commercial would have been a no go. Anyway, I just found it ironic that the super-8 500T that I just recently shot looked significantly better than that first rank transfer I did in the late 80s on 16mm, (but not the redo).

Shooting in Super-8 with the 500T is what I call "retro-progressive". 500T on Super-8 gives both looks like story telling format but with rich colors and blacks. I love the look.

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

Could you pleae post a frame grab?

Thanks.

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:30 PM

Could you pleae post a frame grab?

Thanks.

Perhaps, but my method for making them takes a bit of time. I'll see what I can do over this weekend.

#4 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

Thanks, I know exactly what you mean. :D After three years of 'I'll do it this time' I am going to produce my first movie, and I'm thinking of this stock, or perhaps some Fuji.

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:50 PM

Thanks, I know exactly what you mean. :D After three years of 'I'll do it this time' I am going to produce my first movie, and I'm thinking of this stock, or perhaps some Fuji.

When I take a break from some DVD mastering projects and editing projects, I'm building a yes-on-87 website and I still have to pull the "no commercials" from a 15 hour digital S- tape so I can transcribe them. Otherwise it would be much easier to find the time to do it.

#6 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

HEY! Don't worry, I'm not that desparate. :D

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post