4 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:57 AM

Tonight I saw what looked like one of the first episodes (possibly the first) of the TV show Laguna Beach. I thought that some shots looked quite film-like and other shots looked a bit videoish. There were some shots that had likely been shot at sunset with a beautiful rich, golden glow that looked like they had been shot on film. Many of the ariel shots (but not all) looked filmic. Though a lot of the interior shots looked videoish and rather dull looking. The way motion was represented in a lot of these shots (with the actors interracting) looked very much like video which is odd cos I thought most pro video cameras nowadays used 24P to mimic the way film interprets motion. In the outdoor shots by the pool, much of the brighter background was burnt out to hot white which screamed 'video.' There were some shots that looked like video attempting to take on the appearance of film but just wasnt convincing enough. On the other hand, there were some great time lapse shots of beach locations that looked very much like they had been film originated.

So did this show actually use some film for selected shots or was it all HD?

Edited by Patrick Cooper, 22 December 2006 - 09:59 AM.

#2 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

My understanding the whole show was shot with the Panasonic SDX900 in 24p DVCPRO 50 mode. Maybe the title sequence was film. Some shots at the houses have china balls or additional lighting but since it is a reality tv show some shots are just run and gun.

I think it is cool how they gave a reality tv show a film look. My sister didn't think it was reality tv by the filmlike images. I wonder how they get permission to shot in all those snooty parts of California.

#3 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:22 PM

There was a thread or two already on the look of the show. Check the search function.

#4 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:40 PM

Will do. I'm surprised that this show was shot with 24P mode. The motion in some of those shots, particularly with the girls interracting in the shop interiors, looked like regular video.

By the way, despite all the nice looking girls in bikinis and attractive locations, I'm not really a fan of the show!

#5 Elhanan Matos

Elhanan Matos
  • Sustaining Members
  • 432 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Santa Monica, CA

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

From what I have heard from a few people that worked on the show is that they light every scene before the "actors" get there and they usually tell them where to go to have their "fights" and such so that it looks decent. And yes it is shot on the SDX.

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport