#1 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:38 PM

Hi everyone, I have no clue where to post this so I will post here, yesterday a friend of mine told me about a sort of harnass I presume that has this spring that relieve about half of the weight of the camera on your shoulder, it's like a large inverted "J" that holds the camera when doing handheld work... I had never heard of such a thing, is that what's called an Easyrig?? What are the pros and cons of that??

Thanks!

C

#2 Martin Newstead

Martin Newstead
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

Hi try www.easyrig.se/ I have used one before, it basically takes the weight of the camera off your arms and shoulders and puts it on a harness ( a bit like a steadicam vest ) good if you are doing a lot of handheld with a heavy camera. You can also hold the camera down low for a long time.

Marty

#3 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

Thanks Marty, you've tried one of these... ...How does it affects camera movements?

C

#4 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:15 PM

me_and_easy_rig.JPG I?m an Easy Rig owner. I love it and I use it all the time. It takes most of the weight of the camera and distributes it evenly across your back. It also helps stabilize the camera so I can do rock solid long lens work. There are several arms and vests I have the heaviest Cine style and have used many 35mm and HD cameras with it. It?s great for low angles and I sometimes use VR glasses with it. Although you must have a spotter if you do. Although the system is very steady it doesn?t work like a Steadicam so walking with it imparts a very hand held feel.

#5 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Bob! I think I should give it a try next time I do handheld in 35mm, hopefully I can find a rental place that has it in Montreal!

By the way, that's a sweet car!

C

#6 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:16 PM

Used them quite a bit. They take the weight off, making it a lot easier to operate handheld for longer periods. And as Bob mentions, they're almost a must on handheld shots that need to be operated low. They also tend to stabilize it slightly, so if you're after that raw handheld feel (especially on running shots), they're a bit too smooth.

Nice rig.

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery