#1 J. Scott Portingale

J. Scott Portingale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Director
  • Canada

Posted 25 December 2006 - 02:59 PM

I have always shot my projects on film and then finished on film, or digital beta. Now with hdv on the market I want to buy a camera that shoot hd, but still want to be able to finish on film. Do I have to buy a camera that shoots 24fps progressive, or can it shoot just plain old 24fps("cine like")? Is there a difference? What hdv camera should I buy?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 December 2006 - 05:39 PM

The digital cameras that do a fake 24P effect, often called 24F (CineFrame) or "frame mode", vary in how good they pull off the effect. Since they are processing an interlaced-scan captured image, there is generally some loss of vertical resolution and sometimes motion artifacts.

The Sony 24F CineFrame is next to useless by most accounts, since it processes 60i capture, converts it to a fake 24P, and then reconverts it to 60i again with a pulldown. You're better off using 25F, since that is processed from 50i, or just shooting 50i and deinterlacing it to 25P, assuming you get an HDV camera with that option.

The Canon 24F CineFrame is much better than the Sony's, since it uses a 48i capture for processing to 24P, and then doesn't reconvert it to 60i (unless, I guess, you set the camera to do that... not sure.)

There are some true 24P HDV cameras on the market. Sony is coming out with one finally:
http://digitalconten...vrv1u_09192006/

The more expensive prosumer HDV/DVCPROHD cameras like the Panasonic HVX200 and the JVC HDV 720P camcorders do 24P.

#3 J. Scott Portingale

J. Scott Portingale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Director
  • Canada

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:46 PM

thanks David,

I will keep that in mind. I have a bit more research to do if I start shooting HD.

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

CineLab

Visual Products