Photo

Help! Beaulieu 4000ZMII Charge / Power Failure!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Paola

Dan Paola
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Director
  • UK

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

Help!

Advice desperately needed!!!

I left my immaculate Beaulieu 4000ZMII camera charging unattended for approx 4 hours yesterday, and this morning I plugged the charger into the mains & camera, to continue charging it for use this evening. However, when I plugged the charger into the camera this morning the LED on the charger did not illuminate. I changed the fuse in the mains plug on the charger but still no joy once it is plugged into the ZMII. The battery had only a very weak charge in it from 4 hours of charging yesterday & went just about flat as far as powered camera operation was concerned after no time at all (less than 1 minute).

I am really worried that I may have fried either the camera, the battery or the charger, but don't know how I'd go about isolating the problem area, I dont know of anyone locally with a ZMII that I could do a battery test with etc.

Any advice would be massively helpful as I'm really worried & was really looking forward to shooting some lovely Kodak Tri-X tonight!

Am really hoping my camera is not history!

:blink:

Kind regards & all the best for the New Year

Dan (",)........

Help!

Advice desperately needed!!!

I left my immaculate Beaulieu 4000ZMII camera charging unattended for approx 4 hours yesterday, and this morning I plugged the charger into the mains & camera, to continue charging it for use this evening. However, when I plugged the charger into the camera this morning the LED on the charger did not illuminate. I changed the fuse in the mains plug on the charger but still no joy once it is plugged into the ZMII. The battery had only a very weak charge in it from 4 hours of charging yesterday & went just about flat as far as powered camera operation was concerned after no time at all (less than 1 minute).

I am really worried that I may have fried either the camera, the battery or the charger, but don't know how I'd go about isolating the problem area, I dont know of anyone locally with a ZMII that I could do a battery test with etc.

Any advice would be massively helpful as I'm really worried & was really looking forward to shooting some lovely Kodak Tri-X tonight!

Am really hoping my camera is not history!

:blink:

Kind regards & all the best for the New Year

Dan (",)........

......Of course that should have read Beaulieu 4008ZMII

Dan (",)..............

#2 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

I doubt it's the camera; sounds like the battery and/or the charger. Give a camera repair service a call and ask their advice, but you'll probably be asked to send everything to a qualified repair technician. This might be a good place to start: The Widescreen Centre

#3 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:53 PM

....Bjorn Andersson in Sweden is my go-to Beaulieu guy.

bjorn.andersson@brevet.nu

Steve

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:22 AM

....Bjorn Andersson in Sweden is my go-to Beaulieu guy.

bjorn.andersson@brevet.nu
Steve

The ideal scenario is to have three batteries at all times. When the first one is dead, you have two more ready to go and you have plenty of time to either cycle the third battery to a full charge, and if it malfunctioning, it gives you plenty of time to still film and you still have a back-up.

#5 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:15 AM

Just an idea...

I soldered a wire to center- and a another to exterior battery-pin in the zm4008, then plugged it to a 7.2V LiIon camcorder Battery. It's a good way to get rid of those awfull NiCds or NiMHs. If you do manual exposure you don't need the middle(between center and exterior) pin (3.6V) that's only for iris- and zoommotor. Most 7.2V Camcorder-LiIons have a 3.6V output, I was just to lazy to wire it, I never use autoexposure...

For me this was the best method powering the zm4008, I have 4 LiIons, they keep longer and charge faster... Just make sure to plug it right, check polarity... otherwise you might roast your cam...

#6 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:28 PM

The ideal scenario is to have three batteries at all times. When the first one is dead, you have two more ready to go and you have plenty of time to either cycle the third battery to a full charge, and if it malfunctioning, it gives you plenty of time to still film and you still have a back-up.

Yes. The batteries are the short coming of the 4008ZM. There are conversions available so that one can run AAs. I'd like that and a crystal motor for mine...

Steve

#7 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:50 AM

There are conversions available so that one can run AAs.

It's a 1minute DIY-Job. Just connect 2 wires, or 3 if you need iris- and zoommotor. I ran my 4008 on 5x1.5V AAs (7.5V) or 6x1.2V NiMHs (7.2V), but 7.2V camcorder batteries are best in my opinion...

[attachment=1653:attachment]

Sorry can't remember polarity... no warranty on this one, it's on your own risk. Google it, or check polarity on original battery with a voltmeter...

cheers, Bernhard

#8 Dan Paola

Dan Paola
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Director
  • UK

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for your advice - really appreciated. To be honest, I am keen to avoid actual modifications to the camera itself if possible (although definitely not counting this out if all else fails) andhave been looking for a supplier for a replacement Beaulieu charger and / or battery & I found this really interesting site:

http://www.beaulieu....es/s8_azub8.php

Was wondering if anyone had dealt with this company before, as looks very promising indeed!

Thanks once again for your help - really is appreciated

Take care

Dan (",)

#9 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:21 AM

To be honest, I am keen to avoid actual modifications to the camera itself if possible
http://www.beaulieu....es/s8_azub8.php

actually it's not a modification what I suggested, you can connect the wires without changing anything on the camera. But this is me, being a DIY-enthusiast.

A friend has the akku-dummy with external battery-pack, it's a nice and clean way to power the camera. If you have the extra-change to spend, it's a good solution...

I don't know if they still sell the external battery-pack, I couldn't find it on their website, it's a modified NiCad Racingpack... otherwise you can hook nearly any 7.2V source to the dummy, but this is DIY again.
Maybe the 1000mAh NiMh is your thing, but 173 euro for a simple NiMh seems a litlle expensiv to me...

Technodolly

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

CineLab

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets