#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:20 PM

Does anyone know of any books or DVDs out there on techiques for motion picture sound aquisition that cover techiques used by both the boom operator and the soundman also various mics and techiques for their use? I quess what I'm asking for is a type of soundman's bible, similar to the Cameraman's Handbook or the Five Cs of Cinematography but for sound. B)

#2 George White

George White
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:09 AM

Does anyone know of any books or DVDs out there on techiques for motion picture sound aquisition that cover techiques used by both the boom operator and the soundman also various mics and techiques for their use? I quess what I'm asking for is a type of soundman's bible, similar to the Cameraman's Handbook or the Five Cs of Cinematography but for sound. B)

I have "Sound for Digital Video" by Tomlinson Holman and found it remarkable in its depth and breath of information on the topic -- technical specs on various microphone elements, issues of capturing clean production sound, sound "perspective" etc. It may not be as cook-book as you are looking for and is written assuming the audio will be single system recorded.

He also has a book called "Sound for Film and Television" which might be better for your needs but I haven't personally seen it and it is a little older. Tomlinson is an impressive guy (the inventor of Lucasfilm's THX).

---george

#3 George White

George White
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:09 AM

I have "Sound for Digital Video" by Tomlinson Holman and found it remarkable in its depth and breath of information on the topic -- technical specs on various microphone elements, issues of capturing clean production sound, sound "perspective" etc. It may not be as cook-book as you are looking for and is written assuming the audio will be single system recorded.

He also has a book called "Sound for Film and Television" which might be better for your needs but I haven't personally seen it and it is a little older. Tomlinson is an impressive guy (the inventor of Lucasfilm's THX).

---george

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Opal

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape