#1 GLPVideo

GLPVideo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Upstate NY and the NorthEast

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:28 AM

We are shooting a concert type video and the musicians, especially the drummers will have fast action happening. We want to shoot 24p for the look but I wasn't sure if 30p may be better for the reproduction of that action. Any advice ?
Thanks
DH

#2 Jim Feldspar

Jim Feldspar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

We are shooting a concert type video and the musicians, especially the drummers will have fast action happening. We want to shoot 24p for the look but I wasn't sure if 30p may be better for the reproduction of that action. Any advice ?
Thanks
DH

I'd like to hear what people have to say but since nobody has answered you yet what I think of
is that:

1. In video people seem to go to faster shutter speeds for action, such as capturing golf wings,
but isn't the 24P look derived partially from the 1/48th shuter speed and what would happen
if you changed that?

2. Film is 24 f.p.s. and everything gets shot. People do change shutter speeds but I think that
it's different because the video 1/48th is meant to approxiamate the 1/50th film exposure
time at 24 f.p.s..

It might be fun to do a test. 24P still is going to have a look because it is 24P but maybe
you can change the shutter speed and get crisper action. You'll need light though because
with a faster shutter speed you're going to have to open up. Good luck.

#3 GLPVideo

GLPVideo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Upstate NY and the NorthEast

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

I'd like to hear what people have to say but since nobody has answered you yet what I think of
is that:

1. In video people seem to go to faster shutter speeds for action, such as capturing golf wings,
but isn't the 24P look derived partially from the 1/48th shuter speed and what would happen
if you changed that?

2. Film is 24 f.p.s. and everything gets shot. People do change shutter speeds but I think that
it's different because the video 1/48th is meant to approxiamate the 1/50th film exposure
time at 24 f.p.s..
It might be fun to do a test. 24P still is going to have a look because it is 24P but maybe
you can change the shutter speed and get crisper action. You'll need light though because

is that:

if you changed that?

time at 24 f.p.s..

is that:

if you changed that?

time at 24 f.p.s..

Jim
Thanks for the reply, I did do some tests with the shutter speed and came up with some possibilities. It's really about the "look" and the like you mentioned about getting a crisper action, which you can accomplish, and which is what I was really trying to provide. I know what I like now it's a matter of showing the director his options.
Thanks Again

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Technodolly

CineTape

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS