#1 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:48 PM

Hello all, new to the site so this may be a repeat. Used the search engine and still haven't worked the kinks out. But I have a question.

To those of you who have watched the new Doctor Who series on the BBC or Sci-Fi, it has a brilliant look to it. It's shot on a DigiBeta Cam. What I want to know is, are there DigiBeta Cams that shoot at 24p or is this some type of post production effect their throwing on it? I know this may be something that you may not know unless you're on the set with them, but speculation is fine.

I'm using the DVX 100 and XL2, both shooting 24p, but of course not native and I'm REALLY impressed with what their doing with the DigiBeta Cams.

Thanks guys and gals :D

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:36 PM

I believe the latest series has been shot HD using Varicams.

The previous series was shot on DigiBeta. You can shoot progressive frames (25p) on DigiBeta using the DVW 970, but it wasn't used on Dr Who.

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 31 December 2006 - 07:37 PM.

#3 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

I believe the latest series has been shot HD using Varicams.

The previous series was shot on DigiBeta. You can shoot progressive frames (25p) on DigiBeta using the DVW 970, but it wasn't used on Dr Who.

Interesting. It's credited on imdb as using DigiBeta. Also read an article saying producers rejected HD... if it was shot on HD that would make allot of sense, but it just doesn't seem to jive with what I've read.

#4 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

The Christopher Eccleston Dr Who shows, were de-interlaced Digi-Beta (dvw-790) and the more recent season is HD

#5 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

The Christopher Eccleston Dr Who shows, were de-interlaced Digi-Beta (dvw-790) and the more recent season is HD

Ah. That would make sense as there were scenes late in the 1st season that looked "video". Haven't seen that in the 2nd season. Thanks.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

Hi,

Can't see why you're chasing it anyway - seems to suffer from having been lit from the BBC Book Of Lighting 1967 Edition, wherein it is written:

87c: v) Science fiction will be lit with bright party colours regardless of tone or content. Everyone will wear tinfoil.

Phil

#7 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:12 AM

Hi,

Can't see why you're chasing it anyway - seems to suffer from having been lit from the BBC Book Of Lighting 1967 Edition, wherein it is written:

87c: v) Science fiction will be lit with bright party colours regardless of tone or content. Everyone will wear tinfoil.

Phil

I quite like it actually. I think it works well for the show. It feels allot like Farscape in allot of ways (though I think the work on Farscape was some of the best lighting and shooting on television).

And there's nobody wearing tinfoil except the Cybermen :P

#8 Simon Wyndham

Simon Wyndham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • UK

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:04 AM

The more recent Christmas one might have been HD. Though it seems that half the last season was still Digi.
http://www.studiodai...issue/7486.html

#9 freddie bonfanti

freddie bonfanti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Gaffer
  • LONDON

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:28 AM

hi,

hate to be a pain but i think "Doctor Who" has a horrible look, the higlights are always (i guess on porpouse) blown out and the skintones have such an awful color...the Scottish series "Low Winter Sun" was shot in HD as well and has a great look.

#10 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:55 AM

Dr Who is shot on Digibeta at 50i, using Digital Primo zooms. Some sort of deinterlacing and a 'film look' is done in post.

It's only Torchwood that has so far made the move to HD

#11 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:19 AM

Dr Who is shot on Digibeta at 50i, using Digital Primo zooms. Some sort of deinterlacing and a 'film look' is done in post.

It's only Torchwood that has so far made the move to HD

Just checked with a friend who's going to be doing post production on Dr Who. They're still shooting this on DigiBeta. "Torchwood" has been shot on HD, originally on Varicam then HDCam. I knew there was much discussion and also testing of HD for Dr Who, especially for north American sales, hence my confusion.

#12 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

Dr Who looks loads better than "Torchwood". John Holland ,London.

#13 Simon Wyndham

Simon Wyndham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • UK

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:41 AM

One reason Torchwood looks so awful is because the fools left the shutter turned off, so it has that horrible smeary videoey look. Hopefully they'll correct that issue with the next series.

Looking at the recent Christmas edition of Dr Who, it looked a bit more like it was HD. Certainly looked slightly different to the last series.

Although there are some instances where they really should use film. Whoever convinced the BBC that shooting Robin Hood in bright patchy sunlit forests with a video camera should be strung up. Whenever the scenes were moved to the forest it looked like bad video. Compounded by the fact that the script was awful, the actors were awful, the costumes looked like they came from the local fancy dress store, the action was also rubbish, and the grandeur of the orchestrated musical score came across as if it had been overlayed onto someone's home video due to the whole shoddiness of the programme as a whole. Hopefully thats one series that won't be coming back.

#14 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

One reason Torchwood looks so awful is because the fools left the shutter turned off, so it has that horrible smeary videoey look.

I can say with a very high degree of certainty that this is not true.

#15 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

One reason Torchwood looks so awful is because the fools left the shutter turned off, so it has that horrible smeary videoey look. Hopefully they'll correct that issue with the next series.

Looking at the recent Christmas edition of Dr Who, it looked a bit more like it was HD. Certainly looked slightly different to the last series.

Although there are some instances where they really should use film. Whoever convinced the BBC that shooting Robin Hood in bright patchy sunlit forests with a video camera should be strung up.

Hi,

Phil

http://www.cinematog...showtopic=18049

I love how the Brits support each other. It really warms me up during the holidays. Weren't the kids in "Lord of the Flies" British?

#16 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

Ok Stuart i belive you , so why does it look so awful anytime there is a pan , a tracking shot or someone walking past the camera , its really bad! not an expert but makes me think this is not a good for HD camera , which ever one was used . John Holland , London.

Sorry crap typist , so should read , not a good advert for HD cameras . John Holland , London.

#17 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:18 PM

It was shot on F750s except for the slo-mo stuff which is Varicam. I can tell you for sure the smearing wasn't there on set. I don't know much about the post production - it's possible that there is some BBC post process that has caused it.

#18 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Stuart , well the Beeb need a serious kick up the arse, didnt they say will not shoot or broadcast anything shot in S16, seem they dont watch their own output . John Holland .

#19 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

hi,

hate to be a pain but i think "Doctor Who" has a horrible look, the higlights are always (i guess on porpouse) blown out and the skintones have such an awful color...the Scottish series "Low Winter Sun" was shot in HD as well and has a great look.

Not a pain, just personal preference. I like the look. It doesn't work for everything, but I think it's a good look that is kept consistent throughout the show.

#20 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Stuart , well the Beeb need a serious kick up the arse, didnt they say will not shoot or broadcast anything shot in S16, seem they dont watch their own output . John Holland .

The weird thing is that Dr Who, which still shoots on Digi, uses s16 for it's slo-mo...

Opal

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS