4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:06 PM

Through reading of the forums I've believed that the general consensus was that the K-3 can only be operated for tops 26 seconds, even if you would continue to wind it.

However, I needed to complete a wind of a roll of film loaded in the K-3 and I just pressed the "run" button and wound the spring that was allready pre-wound at steady increments.

My K-3 is a M42 mount with serial : 86014xxx and it allows me to "add" to the spring.

Had this been a non-exposed negative It would have resulted in 2min:14sec of continuous footage.
It obviates that this would be bad with a crane/jib or any other where the operator did not have access to the camera.

However I would like to demistify the misconseption that more that 26secs of a continious shot is not possible.

As with any scientific observation this statement is based on my own, and you K-3 may have a governour/limiter that clocks out and does not let you add "wind" to the spring.

But for my situation that handle-crank thing is starting to look fairly good though I am fearful of the jitter it would add to the shot.

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:22 PM

Through reading of the forums I've believed that the general consensus was that the K-3 can only be operated for tops 26 seconds, even if you would continue to wind it.

But for my situation that handle-crank thing is starting to look fairly good though I am fearful of the jitter it would add to the shot.

If you were to add an electric motor you might be on to something. I would suspect that you would have to have a larger tripod that is usual to avoid your winding causing camera shake.

#3 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:42 AM

Had this been a non-exposed negative It would have resulted in 2min:14sec of continuous footage.
It obviates that this would be bad with a crane/jib or any other where the operator did not have access to the camera.

If you need long time footages, you need use cine camera with electrical motor only.
The any cine camera with spring motor create for maximum time of shooting notmore 30 sec at speed 24 fps.
The some cameras have more long time of work of spring motor, but, the speed of shooting have not constant volume and designer set special mechanicl device for limitation of time of work for receibe permanent speed of shooting.
K-3 don't have device of limitation, thats' why, if the spring will discharged, the camera lost of speed and stop.

Other, If you will use K-3 with remote control, you can have a some problem, because, K-3 have mechanical trigger of start-stop and you need special electromechanical device.
This is not good idea too.

That's why, If you need shoot of continuous footage, you need camera with electrical motor.
From russian cameras :
- Kiev-16 E, 16 mm cine camera with C-mount, electrical motor and super small size and weight.
- Kiev-16 UE
- Kinor-16 SX-2M
- 16SP
and other.

#4 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:26 PM

If you need long time footages, you need use cine camera with electrical motor only.
The any cine camera with spring motor create for maximum time of shooting notmore 30 sec at speed 24 fps.
The some cameras have more long time of work of spring motor, but, the speed of shooting have not constant volume and designer set special mechanicl device for limitation of time of work for receibe permanent speed of shooting.
K-3 don't have device of limitation, thats' why, if the spring will discharged, the camera lost of speed and stop.

100% True, but If I have a K-3 in my hand and I "must have" a 40 sec take, I though it was impossible, I did not know that you can just wind it a little while the camera is running.

It's 100% not useful for complicated cine, but if the cam is on a simple tripod and you need that extra 6 seconds in the take the hand crank is an option on a low low budget.

Also yes, inadvertently the camera can stop and ruin that take and your film along with it . 100% true.

I just though it could not be done at all due to some device in the cam stopping the film motor in the K-3 after 30seconds of runtime.

#5 Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan

Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Director
  • Mexico DF

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hi Dennis!!

i have a k3 and generally play with it like i think you do.
just take care not to force the spring. my personal advice, if you have it fixed in a tripod, go on!! shoot the time you need, the important thing here is to shoot, make films and express what you want.

best wishes!!
Treegan

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Wooden Camera

CineLab