#1 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:27 PM

I was having a talk with someone the other day about how it is possible to completely forget having seen a film until some sort of memory is jolted for whatever reason - Its especially prevalent with me as I work with the Auckland Film Festival every year in a position that affords me the time to watch up to 5 films a day (which I rarely do now) - but because of this I get a bit blase about them, and I often walk in shortly after the film has started so have no idea of what I am about to see (its a 2000 seat theatre so I'm not disturbing anyone) ...

One such film that was a total surprise at the time that I promptly forgot about but tracked down was "Tears of the Black Tiger" which I'm told at wikipedia is due for release in the states in Jan 2007 ...

It wont be everyones cup of tea - but I recommend it

A reasonable review : http://www.bfi.org.u...und/review/1990

"Dum!"
"Dum ?"

"Dum!"

"Dum."

Nick

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:02 AM

I just saw Renoir's "Rules of the Game" at the Nuart and the trailer for this Thai Western-Musical came up first... it was so whacked-out that my whispered response to my wife was "well, American culture has a LOT to answer for..." but someone else in the audience blurted out "What the f--- was that???"

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:10 AM

Saw the trailer for this tonight, I was totally thrown by the colors. It looks horribly tongue in cheek, with a strange not quite 2-strip technicolor look to it...I think I'm gonna go see it, ha ha!

#4 Jason Debus

Jason Debus
  • Sustaining Members
  • 311 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

The trailer can be downloaded here:

Tears of the Black Tiger Trailer (480x360)

Definitely wtf. I really like the look though!

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:13 PM

Damn! Missed it! It was a block away from me for a week, and I didn't know it until the day after it left...d'oh!

btw, I've just become familiar with the term and extinct film format called "lenticular", which had on one side a red sensitive emulsion and on the other a blue/green sensitive emulsion. Could much of the look of this film have been influenced by it, ya think?

#6 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

btw, I've just become familiar with the term and extinct film format called "lenticular", which had on one side a red sensitive emulsion and on the other a blue/green sensitive emulsion. Could much of the look of this film have been influenced by it, ya think?

What you're describing is a print from bipack negatives, Cinecolor, Magnacolor, Trucolor.

Lenticular had cylindrical lenses embossed on the base. It went through the camera base out and with a tricolor, three striped filter. This gives what is in effect a set of color seperations that have been sliced into strips and shuffled together. Usually if not always shot on reversal.
It was projected through a similar filter. Supossedly good color, but not very sharp.

The two color system you described was filmed with two strips of negative bipacked in the camera.
The front film was ortho and had a red filter layer on top of the emulsion. This went through base out and the emulsion was in contact with a panchromatic neg in the standard position. The red filter layer only let red light reach the panchro film.

The three strip Technicolor used bipack for the blue and red seperations.

The negs were printed on a b/w print stock with emulsion on both sides. Each side would be toned a different color, prussian blue for the red seperation and and a reddish-orange for the ortho neg, originally a uranium toner.
On an all interior movie like Bela Lougosi's 'Scared to Death' it can look really good.
Exteriors with lots of green foliage could be a problem.

Though in the Trucolor from CFI, the twosided printstock was a color coupler emulsion from eastman.
Roy Rogers movies. By "Johnny Guitar" it was a basic Eastmancolor neg/pos.

Edited by Leo Anthony Vale, 24 February 2007 - 03:32 PM.

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Opal

Tai Audio