5 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:35 AM

I've a part share in a 235 kit. Several were rejected when we purchased it due to slight build up / rubbing on the top of the gate. However we seem to have a persistent scratching problem that is getting a little boring. The gate has been polished, the rental house who also have a part share have run 1000's of feet through it without problem. Different A/C's though I wouldn't question any of them as they have vast experience. Its not a deep scratch, more of a rub (blue on transfer)), full frame slightly left of centre when viewed

Anyone else had problems? Even better, anyone else have a solution?

Thanks

#2 Phil Savoie

Phil Savoie
  • Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montana / Wales

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:05 AM

Hi Tony,

If your fairly confident it's a issue to do with the new camera I'd call Gunter Zoeh (00-49-8938091402 direct dial from the UK) at the ARRI factory and have a chat. Gunter has been a helpful, knowledgeable resource for years, if he's not your man he'll point you to right person to try and resolve it. Good luck in sorting it out. Please let us know how you get on.

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:25 PM

I've a part share in a 235 kit. Several were rejected when we purchased it due to slight build up / rubbing on the top of the gate. However we seem to have a persistent scratching problem that is getting a little boring. The gate has been polished, the rental house who also have a part share have run 1000's of feet through it without problem. Different A/C's though I wouldn't question any of them as they have vast experience. Its not a deep scratch, more of a rub (blue on transfer)), full frame slightly left of centre when viewed

Anyone else had problems? Even better, anyone else have a solution?

Thanks

Hi Tony,

What stock ar you using? I have had problems with 5218 at one lab in Switzerland, never a problem with Fuji Stock. Shot 18 rolls vairous stocks over 1 weekend & all the 5218 was scratched, everything else perfect! On the Monday we used a different lab and all emulsions were O.K.

Stephen

#4 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

What stock ar you using?

Hello Stephen

All Kodak, Mainly 17 but also a lot of 18, I'd estimate 60 - 70,000' and probably 15 different labs. Usually used with 435 mags sourced locally wherever we are......

The gate has been polished one final time, then it will go back to Arri GB under warranty. Cant find any continuity that points to a cause, very frustrating

Thanks for that number Phil.......

#5 Phil Savoie

Phil Savoie
  • Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montana / Wales

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:57 AM

All Kodak, Mainly 17 but also a lot of 18, I'd estimate 60 - 70,000' and probably 15 different labs. Usually used with 435 mags sourced locally wherever we are......

I'm sure your aware that by using multiple mags from different sources it throws another variable into the mix when your trying to isolate the cause of scratching (like the use of multiple labs). Since you don't physically have the mags one can't check tension or really inspect the throat, rollers, etc. to rule out the scratches orginating from the mag(s). Was any of the footage shot at high speed?

It may be a stock issue as well. I'd also suggest you chat to David Webb or Martin Hammond at Kodak GB Since your in the UK and to see if this problem had been reported before. Perhaps you could ask them for some rolls of out of date stock to scratch test with - maybe zooming a few rolls through at 60fps will point up the problem area.

Good luck

#6 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

I'm sure your aware that by using multiple mags from different sources it throws another variable into the mix when your trying to isolate the cause of scratching (like the use of multiple labs). Since you don't physically have the mags one can't check tension or really inspect the throat, rollers, etc. to rule out the scratches orginating from the mag(s). Was any of the footage shot at high speed?

It may be a stock issue as well. I'd also suggest you chat to David Webb or Martin Hammond at Kodak GB Since your in the UK and to see if this problem had been reported before. Perhaps you could ask them for some rolls of out of date stock to scratch test with - maybe zooming a few rolls through at 60fps will point up the problem area.

Good luck

The fact that dozens of different mags have been used with this camera indicates its NOT a mag problem...... Yes its been used at high speed and yes its had 1000's of feet (seriously.......1000's of feet of virgin stock run through to replicate the problem. We tend to work in hot countries, this could be a factor. The camera has gone back to Arri GB..... I'll post their findings.

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio