4 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:22 AM

A little while ago, we had a thread going about overexposing and pushing film and I chimed in w/ my experience on an NYU undergrad film I shot in 2005. Turns out my employer has posted the film in Quicktime form on his website:

http://www.jlovison....age3/page3.html

(Click on "52 Hours.")
and I'd be happy to hear any comments/ questions about the photography. 3 day shoot, Super16mm, framed (and transferred) 1.85:1, used a friend's set of Zeiss superspeeds. No gaffer, no grip, I never hooked up w/ the director to do any color-correction (which is evident in the INT - Bathroom - Night scene), but there's still some good stuff in there. Thanks for watching!!

Jon.

#2 Zachary Vex

Zachary Vex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:53 AM

It loads very slowly from that site so I'm sure some people won't have the patience to watch it all. Wow, the material is so heavy that it's hard to watch without getting a pretty big lump in my throat. The guy is a good actor. It's well-done. What kind of lighting did you use, and what stock? What kind of camera?

#3 Dan Stone

Dan Stone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:05 AM

Yeah, I agree. 20 minutes of loading only got me about 15 seconds of video ("Susan, I have another call") so I gave up.

The photography in the little blurb I saw looked good, though. The guy's over-happiness bothers me a little. He's drumming on the wheel and just trying too hard to seem happy. It feels very staged.

#4 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

I have to confess I haven't looked at it online myself. I stared at the quicktime logo for a few minutes and then moved on (blamed my dial-up connection.), so thanks to anyone who actually sticks w/ it!!

As for camera and lighting: We rented an arri sr16 "2.5" from Duall Camera here in NYC. The "2.5" is Duall's own designation for a camera modified to Super 16. The NYU "Narrative Package" includes 3 inkies, 2 babies, and a 2k soft. I added 2 2'x2 bulb kino's, and my own home made soft light.

Film stock: Kodak 250d on the exteriors, and then a combination of 7279 and 7218 for the interiors.

#5 Easton Sheahan-Lee

Easton Sheahan-Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

I agree, the guy seems way to over-acting happy. However the rest is pretty good. A little dark though. Just not music all the time. Sometimes the image and dialogue speaks for itself.

CineLab

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape