#1 Sol Train Saihati

Sol Train Saihati
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

It's a new year, time to buy a new lightmeter.

Was just about to hit the purchase button with a 558C in my shopping basket when... Wait! What's this? A new Sekonic on the scene with some kind of USB black magic function? Hmmm... I'm sceptical. I would hope that I have a better working knowledge of the stock that I'm using than my lightmeter does.

Has anyone had a chance to put one of these meters on trial? I'm particularly interested and slightly concerned about the Exposure Profiling features. Isn't this all a bit pointless, considering you have to run a series of tests just to calibrate these settings? Again, I think I would rather use my brain to calculate how to expose a scene in order to obtain the look I'm going for, basing my decisions on real-life experience and technical expertise rather than let a piece of electronic wizardry do it for me. I imagine that over/under exposure will result in some manner of noise-making warning siren emitting a high pitched shrieking sound, to provide warning of approaching danger and indicating when the danger has passed.

Most importantly, is it really worth splitting with an extra £150 for this information? Somehow I doubt it, however Sekonic seem to be putting the much loved 558C to bed so I guess we're soon to be without a choice.

Don't tell me that going with your gut is not an option anymore? Everyone must watch out they don't lose any detail in the shadows or highlights, or else the producers/directors sitting in grading suites will throw their toys out of the pram.

Although I'm open minded to new technology... Is lighting for the grade the destiny of our artform? I guess my ranting is fuelled by the frustration that this way of thought seems to be so set-in-stone, that it is now beginning to influence our future technologies.

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:43 AM

It's essentially for anal retentive digital photographers who have a fat wad of cash burning a hole in their pockets, right? What's to get excited about? By the way, Sekonic still sells an analog meter which will probably last longer than film itself. By then we'll all be lighting by the monitor anyway.

#3 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:08 AM

Hey Sol, you've been here a while so I think it's time you changed your user name to your real first and last name.
Thanks.

#4 Sol Train Saihati

Sol Train Saihati
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

Right on man.

#5 Zulkifli Yusof

Zulkifli Yusof
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

Talk about analog lightmeters, I'm always biting my fingers whenever I used one (cant remember which particular Sekonic model). I made sure the zero level is correct and make a point to do that before every setup. Sometimes I take several readings from the same spot not because I'm not confident of my lighting but to make sure that the lightmeter is consistent.

On long days, that particular model, regardless of which unit was used, tend to screw up on me and I find myself spending more time fixing it than actually using it. Once it was so bad that when I point it directly at a light source, the needle went below zero but when I covered it with my palms/black wrap/etc, it gave me reading.

Strange but true.

I cannot do without digital lightmeters these days. Nothing fancy, but simple ones will do.

And 2 of them, just to make sure LOL.

Edited by Zulkifli Yusof, 06 January 2007 - 01:11 PM.

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Wooden Camera