#1 JB Guillot

JB Guillot
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Other
  • France

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:52 AM

Hi everybody and happy new year with lots of Super 8 rolls !!

That was not for new year's eve but I just got a Bauer C Royal 6E from a german guy ; looks nice, lense have no scratch, doesn't seem to be so old...really good status BUT, yes there's a but :( , I don't have the user manual of this wonderful cam and after a few tests it seems that I can't make it turn properly :rolleyes:

There are many buttons and selectors and I just managed to make it work at the different speeds (but not 54 fps) by touching I don't know how many buttons :blink:

However, if some of you have some royal series manuals which could help me understand what I should do to film...then you're welcome ! And if you have the Bauer Royal C 6E manual, then you're the right guy ! :D

Thanks a lot for your help.

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

Hi everybody and happy new year with lots of Super 8 rolls !!

That was not for new year's eve but I just got a Bauer C Royal 6E from a german guy ; looks nice, lense have no scratch, doesn't seem to be so old...really good status BUT, yes there's a but :( , I don't have the user manual of this wonderful cam and after a few tests it seems that I can't make it turn properly :rolleyes:

There are many buttons and selectors and I just managed to make it work at the different speeds (but not 54 fps) by touching I don't know how many buttons :blink:

However, if some of you have some royal series manuals which could help me understand what I should do to film...then you're welcome ! And if you have the Bauer Royal C 6E manual, then you're the right guy ! :D

Thanks a lot for your help.

I seem to recall there are four letters that spell A. L. E. C.

If you know how to use all four of them, you become a Smart A.L.E.C.

One of those settings is for doing time-exposure. There is a counter under the lens that automatically turns the time-exposure off when it reaches zero. Probably a good idea to turn that dial so it isn't at zero otherwise when you are in the time-exposure mode it may not work and you will hear nothing and think that that function does not work.

The A is the time-lapse function, you'll notice an the letter A on the time-lapse dial, it's variable, but from several frames per second to perhaps well over a minute, maybe even 3-4 minutes on the slow side.

The L is the long exposure function. There is a "Delorean" type latch that swings out to reveal a light sensor for doing time-exposure, this function works in conjunction with the timer located underneath the lens.

I'll skip over the E. However E might mean single frame? The C is for general shooting. You'll notice a letter "C" buy the filming speed dial. The big dial on the opposite side is for selecting your shutter. It appears as if the camera actually shuts off when the shutter is fully closed, but I'm not sure.

Other goodies include a slow motion button (either 45 or 54, I'm not sure which speed, different zoom speeds can be selected via an adjustable dial, so the choices are more than just fast or slow.

There's also a green dial on the top of the camera under a black flaπ that I think is the way one can manually adjust the exposure. Don't forget that besides the four batteries in the grip there are two more underneath the main camera body. The two battery door is easily broken so be careful.

It's a cool camera with a ton of filming options, I hope the above helps.

#3 JB Guillot

JB Guillot
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Other
  • France

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:41 AM

It's a cool camera with a ton of filming options, I hope the above helps.

Sure it helps ! Thanks a lot.

I took some time to finally test it with the above explanations...it seems that there is a small misfunctioning with the main trigger (the one you press to film) I may need to have it checked by a profesionnal :(

However here are some questions about some details :
- concerning the "Delorean" type latch that swings out to reveal a light sensor for doing time-exposure how do you open it ? Does it swings out itself, should I make it swing out (seems quite hard, I don't want to break my camera)?
- now I know there is a dial to adjust the shutter but is it possible to adjust it when filming (fade out)? and what about the very small trigger just near the shutter dial (small trigger with some color dots that seems to be related with the shutter adjustment dial) ?
- there is also another button with R written, it's a slider on the same side that the shutter adjustment dial...do you have any idea of it's use ?

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:42 AM

Sure it helps ! Thanks a lot.

I took some time to finally test it with the above explanations...it seems that there is a small misfunctioning with the main trigger (the one you press to film) I may need to have it checked by a profesionnal :(

However here are some questions about some details :
- concerning the "Delorean" type latch that swings out to reveal a light sensor for doing time-exposure how do you open it ? Does it swings out itself, should I make it swing out (seems quite hard, I don't want to break my camera)?
- now I know there is a dial to adjust the shutter but is it possible to adjust it when filming (fade out)? and what about the very small trigger just near the shutter dial (small trigger with some color dots that seems to be related with the shutter adjustment dial) ?
- there is also another button with R written, it's a slider on the same side that the shutter adjustment dial...do you have any idea of it's use ?

The Delorean time-exposure lever swings out rather easily from the top. I just tried the R button and gasp, could it be a reverse mode??? I wonder that because just now when the camera was running and I slid the R button, it kind of sounded "opposite" to the way it sounds when the R button is not engaged. I just noticed that when the camera is running the button below the lens is turning, it has the letter "L" on it. When the R button is engaged, the L dial runs in reverse, ergo it must be a reverse switch.

I've never mastered reverse techniques on the few cameras that offer the function because the camera will automatically shut off after a certain amount of frames in reverse, then one has to rememeber how to make it go forward.

I think the manual shutter control can be used to manually fade out the camera, the camera may even stop as soon as it's completely faded out via the manual shutter selector, or it could just be coincidence.

Technodolly

CineLab

Abel Cine

Opal

The Slider

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio