Photo

Why do people say wide shots "fall apart" in Mini-DV?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Feldspar

Jim Feldspar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:30 AM

Somebody wrote this about a week ago in another thread but I asked and haven't heard back about
why he wrote:

"and this thing (DVX-100) can handle itself against alot of the "big-boys". prob is, with most DV, wide
shots fall apart, paticularly day-exteriors, on the big screen they look awful, and i've had to shoot
some 16mm or s16 for those scenes (usually a stock with a 200asa or higher)"

I asked : Why don't the wide shots hold up? How about with the HVX-200, particularly shooting 720
24P HD, would you happen to know? Thanks.

#2 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

It just means that you have 720x480 pixels trying to resolve a whole hell of a lot of detail, in a wide shot, and it just can't do it, once blown up large enough. With a closeup, you're seeing a lot "less" of whatever it is you're shooting (a face, an object). Wide shots tend to look kinda fuzzy on the big screen. A wide shot of a person walking along a street, for example----that person's going to look like a line or two of pixels, not a human, if the shot's wide enough. Make sense?

I saw both "Tadpole" and "28 Days Later" in the theater, and I can see what people mean.

No opinion on your HVX question, sorry.

#3 Jim Feldspar

Jim Feldspar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:16 PM

It just means that you have 720x480 pixels trying to resolve a whole hell of a lot of detail, in a wide shot, and it just can't do it, once blown up large enough. With a closeup, you're seeing a lot "less" of whatever it is you're shooting (a face, an object). Wide shots tend to look kinda fuzzy on the big screen. A wide shot of a person walking along a street, for example----that person's going to look like a line or two of pixels, not a human, if the shot's wide enough. Make sense?

I saw both "Tadpole" and "28 Days Later" in the theater, and I can see what people mean.

No opinion on your HVX question, sorry.

Thanks. I saw those two movies on DVD. I'll have to find something showing in a theater
that was shot on Mini-DV and see.

"that person's going to look like a line or two of pixels, not a human, if the shot's wide enough."

Hmmm, more close-ups here we come!

#4 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

I think it is because of the 1/3" sensors... There are a lot of wide shots on DVD that look awesome because they were shot on larger formats (35mm, 2/3" HD, etc.) Wide shots just don't look that good on MINIDV.

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Ritter Battery

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio