Timmo Liiva

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

Hello Community!
I am interested of buying camcorder. I want to use it for making amateur films, special effects, screen screen must have very important role in it. And alsou is it possible to get it above 1000$?

#2 Timmo Liiva

Timmo Liiva

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

I forgot to mention on thing. I don't know much about camcorders, it would be very great, when that camera can record data to harddisk.

#3 alex thin

alex thin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

You can take a look to the sony HDV camera like hdr-hc1 if you can find it , it is around $1200, you can try the Hc3, around that price too, they are not professional cameras, but you can get 1080i for a good price, filming in day light they are fantastic, specially the HC1.

Anyway, sure other poeple can give you other options.

#4 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:14 AM

I'd suggest finding a DVX 100B. You can find them around $1800 (or less more than likely). Nice lense, does a damn good faux 24p for filmmic look and allot of decent control over everything.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

Note to "Timmo"

http://www.cinematog...?act=boardrules

Please read the following rules and guidelines very carefully. By proceeding to post you agree to these guidelines and must obey them at all times. Refusal to obey these guidelines will result in the appropriate responsive actions.

Members on this forum are required to use their full real names for their Display Name. The format to use is your first name followed by a space followed by your last/family/surname. Please capitalize the first letter of each. Accounts that do not comply will be removed and cannot be reactivated. Display names can be edited in My Controls / Change Display Name once you?re logged in.

#6 Timmo Liiva

Timmo Liiva

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:43 AM

Now it's ok :)

Let's talk about that DVX 100B, i don't know much about cameras, but does most of them(including DVX 100B) uses tape to record or they use somekind of a harddrive?

#7 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:16 AM

Canon XM2 is a nice piece of kit.

#8 Timmo Liiva

Timmo Liiva

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:56 PM

yes, but his costs way too much :huh:

#9 Edgar Smith

Edgar Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

You ain't finding a dvx100b for 1800, at least not one without an ungodly amount of hours and abuse on it. You might could get an original dvx100 for that price, and I've seen a few A's go for close to that with several hundred hours on them, but never a B, the cheapest I've seen a B go for was about 2200, and I got mine for 2300, 2300-2500 seems to be the ballpark right now for one of them that's in decent shape.

The dvx is a great camera, though, in whatever version.

Edited by Edgar Smith, 06 January 2007 - 01:01 PM.

#10 Edgar Smith

Edgar Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

Another thing: you can find ads for the DVX100B online for 1800 or less, but those are unauthorized dealers (scam shops) that will tell you that the price is camera only, then try to sell you the accessories for an outrageously inflated price. Even if you somehow actually managed to get a camera delivered, panasonic would deny your warranty and refuse you the rebate and extra software because the camera is a grey market model from overseas, plus you wouln't be able to read your manual or any documentation due to it being in japanese or something.

I wouldn't buy from them unless you want to experience the financial equivalent of an aggravated sexual assault.

Edited by Edgar Smith, 06 January 2007 - 01:11 PM.

#11 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:37 PM

I think a better camera for around $1350 would be the JVC GR-HD1. Like the DVX the JVC features true progressive film like recording but the JVC can capture footage in high definition while the DVX can only shoot standard definition. The JVC also features a hybrid primary complimentary color filteration system which can sample colors at higher resolutions than the DVX100 is capable of.

#12 Edgar Smith

Edgar Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

One thing to remember about the JVC GR-HD1 is that it is a 30p 1-chip camera with a proprietary codec that can only be played back from a HD1, It also doesn't have any sort of Gamma adjustment like the DVX does to give it more of a film look.

Personally, the HD1 footage I've seen didn't look near as good as the DVX as far as color.

#13 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:56 PM

I think you'll find that if you do enough shopping, you can find a good deal on a DVX. Give it a shot before you just give up on it.

#14 Edgar Smith

Edgar Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

I think you'll find that if you do enough shopping, you can find a good deal on a DVX. Give it a shot before you just give up on it.

Yep, a DVX would be a GREAT choice.

www.dvxuser.com would be a great place to go to find a used one, plus If you want to buy new they can steer you to an authorized dealer so you don't get screwed over.

ETA: the DVX doesn't do a 'faux' 24p, it has progressive chips and records a true 24 fps image. Some other cameras(notably the fx-1) have a fake 24 fps mode (the fx-1 calls it's "cineframe"), but the DVX is pure 24p goodness.

Edited by Edgar Smith, 06 January 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#15 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

Yep, a DVX would be a GREAT choice.

www.dvxuser.com would be a great place to go to find a used one, plus If you want to buy new they can steer you to an authorized dealer so you don't get screwed over.

ETA: the DVX doesn't do a 'faux' 24p, it has progressive chips and records a true 24 fps image. Some other cameras(notably the fx-1) have a fake 24 fps mode (the fx-1 calls it's "cineframe"), but the DVX is pure 24p goodness.

Actually I don't think the DVX is native. It does its own 3-2 pulldown. At least that's what we were taught in our Tech Classes and Cinematography.

#16 Troy Warr

Troy Warr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX, USA

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

Actually I don't think the DVX is native. It does its own 3-2 pulldown. At least that's what we were taught in our Tech Classes and Cinematography.

I believe that the chip is progressive scan, but the processor does the pulldown before recording to tape in 60i. Using editing software you can reverse the pulldown to edit true 24fps, progressively-shot footage.

This is going from memory though, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here.

A little more info here: http://en.wikipedia....anasonic_DVX100

#17 Edgar Smith

Edgar Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

MY understanding is that it records true 24p at a 24 hz clock rate, but it does have to add either 2-3-2-3 pulldown or 2-3-3-2 advanced pulldown to print to tape in a 60i format that 's MiniDV compatible.

Some camcorders use a fake 24p that basically just cuts out frames, but the DVX has native 24p coming straight off the chips. Pulldown is only added after compression and right before the image is printed to tape.The initial uncompressed image has the same 24fps framerate that a film camera has.

I believe that the chip is progressive scan, but the processor does the pulldown before recording to tape in 60i. Using editing software you can reverse the pulldown to edit true 24fps, progressively-shot footage.

This is going from memory though, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here.

A little more info here: http://en.wikipedia....anasonic_DVX100

No, you are correct.

#18 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:57 PM

The DVX100 does capture at true 24P (takes a progressive-scan picture 24 times a second) but always records it to 480/60i, so has to add a pulldown of some sort (two types available, standard and "advanced") which can be removed in post to return to the original "P" frames.

#19 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

Oops I meant GL2, the American version. (Not XM2) About $1800 brand new.

#20 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

The DVX100 does capture at true 24P (takes a progressive-scan picture 24 times a second) but always records it to 480/60i, so has to add a pulldown of some sort (two types available, standard and "advanced") which can be removed in post to return to the original "P" frames.

Man, so this confuses me. It's true 24p, but it still does a pull down? ACK! Brain hemorage!!!

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine