Liz Acosta

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Hey there

I just received a Nizo 4080 Super-8 camera for Christmas from my dad - super awesome. I'm finishing up in film school now. I mostly do sound work, but want to experiment with super-8

So I'm trying to figure out my way around this camera & I've noticed what appears to be a hair in the gate. Unfortunately, after following the vague gate-cleaning instructions provided with the camera, the hair is still visible when I look through the eye piece. It certainly wasn't there before

It is in the bottom of the window. I don't think it could be anything other than a stray hair

I'm totally new to this, so if anyone could help me out, that would be awesome. I searched the forum for any previous posts concerning this & could find none

Thanks a bunch !!!

#2 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:15 PM

a "hair in the gate" would not be visible through the eye piece. if you have cleaned the gate it probably is in fact clean and what you are seeing is most likely some dust inside of the viewing system which will have no effect on the image when you expose the film. To test this you should run some film through the camera.

f

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:19 PM

I'm not sure if your name is Liz EAcosta... but please correct your User Name. You should have seen these instructions below when you registered. Thanks.

Forum Terms & Rules

READ THIS - IT'S NOT LONG :)

You must register using your REAL NAME. That means your first name, a space, then your last name. If you don't use your real name, or you register with a name that looks like your real name but we find out is not your real name, your account will be permanently disabled.

After you create your account, you MUST create a signature that will be automatically appended to your posts. The simplest signature will be your name, and we encourage you to add a link to your web site or IMDB profile if you have one.

#4 Liz Acosta

Liz Acosta

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:12 AM

I'm not sure if your name is Liz EAcosta... but please correct your User Name. You should have seen these instructions below when you registered. Thanks.

Forum Terms & Rules

READ THIS - IT'S NOT LONG :)

You must register using your REAL NAME. That means your first name, a space, then your last name. If you don't use your real name, or you register with a name that looks like your real name but we find out is not your real name, your account will be permanently disabled.

After you create your account, you MUST create a signature that will be automatically appended to your posts. The simplest signature will be your name, and we encourage you to add a link to your web site or IMDB profile if you have one.

Aahhh! I thought I'd done it like that!!! It is fixed now thanks ^^

a "hair in the gate" would not be visible through the eye piece. if you have cleaned the gate it probably is in fact clean and what you are seeing is most likely some dust inside of the viewing system which will have no effect on the image when you expose the film. To test this you should run some film through the camera.

f

But would I only know for sure after the film is developed? Probably - right?

I feel that you are right, that the gate is in fact clean. But how did it get in there I wonder? Should I have it looked at?

Thank you !

#5 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

The only way to know for sure is to run some film through and process. As for how this happened, it is very common for dust and dirt to get into the viewing system of lots of different cameras. You either just ignore it or take apart the system and clean it out. Or you can drop off the camera and have it professionally cleaned.

f

#6 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:41 AM

The viewfinder optics are in front of the gate so you don't see through it. No camera does. That's why the gate is always checked after every shot in the professional world. You wouldn't do it with Super-8- you'd have to remove the cartridge- but it's worth checking when you change. Cleaning off emulsion residue is worthwhile too- you can check the effect by adjusting the projector racking so you can see the frameline.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Glidecam